Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin today announced the launch of a new 36W USB-C car charger, which is able to provide fast charging capabilities for the iPhone X, the iPhone 8, and the iPhone 8 Plus. All three of those devices support a fast charging feature that allows them to be charged to 50 percent battery life in 30 minutes.

belkincarcharger.jpg

Priced at $29.99, Belkin's new car charger accessory does not include a USB-C to Lightning cable, which is required to make it work. Apple sells USB-C to Lightning cables at prices starting at $25. If you don't already own a USB-C to Lightning cable, it brings the total price of the Belkin Charger to $55.

In addition to being able to fast charge the iPhone, the 36W Car Charger can also be used to provide power to iPads and 12-inch MacBook models. It also works with MacBook Pro models, but those machines typically charge using 61W or 87W Power Adapters.

The USB-C Car Charger is available exclusively from Belkin.com and Apple.com, though it isn't yet showing up on Apple's site just yet as it's newly released.

Article Link: Belkin Debuts 36W USB-C Car Charger That Offers Fast Charging for iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus

Reactions: Barcode

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you already have a 24w charger from a previous iPhone 6, 6S, or 7 (and their respective Plus sizes) then it’s not really necessary to buy the usb-c to lighting cable and the usb-c charger for your iPhone 8, 8 Plus, or X as you’ll only charge 15 min faster from empty.

Reactions: EndersShadow

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Just purchased a 30 watt car charger for $12 on Amazon the other day. I love Belkin but for something like this you can get the same delivery for far less.

I know it’s always advised to use chords that are MFi but does the same apply to chargers like this? I’d love to get a cheaper one but not at the risk of damaging my $1200 phone.

colbertnation

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2009
Just purchased a 30 watt car charger for $12 on Amazon the other day. I love Belkin but for something like this you can get the same delivery for far less.

Would you happen to have the Amazon link for that? I am inclined to trust your review/judgement, and might buy one myself.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

That one does not. The "fast charge" that Apple supports is USB-PD (USB Power Delivery). USB-C does not equate to fast charging. USB-C is only a physical connector standard. #thanksAndroidOEMS for making this so murky.

Specifically, as of this writing, these Anker chargers support the USB-PD standard (and none are car chargers, sorry):

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerCore+-26800mAh-&-PowerPort+-1-Wall-Charger/B1375111

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ61...RW&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&sr=1-10&tag=ianker-20

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y427WT7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I actually have this one sitting on my desk right now.)

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011

Isn't it more than just output wattage though? I remember testing some high wattage USB-C adapters with my iPad Pro (with the Apple USB-C->Lightning cable) and it didn't fast charge.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I know it’s always advised to use chords that are MFi but does the same apply to chargers like this? I’d love to get a cheaper one but not at the risk of damaging my $1200 phone.
A charger doesn't have to be MFI, but I wouldn't buy a no-name brand of questionable origin. While car chargers are generally safer than wall chargers (no AC-DC conversion because cars already have DC), the supply in cars is very inconsistent. The voltage can jump quite a lot in some cars when the gas pedal is mashed down, for example. A good charger needs to filter all this out. Anker has been shown to have good engineers, I would trust them.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Isn't it more than just output wattage though? I remember testing some high wattage USB-C adapters with my iPad Pro (with the Apple USB-C->Lightning cable) and it didn't fast charge.

Only the iPad Pro 10.5 and 12.9s support USB-PD. And you need a USB-PD charger for that to work to begin with.
[doublepost=1510772274][/doublepost]
24W from Anker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YMZ4LD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_N1idAb147WJD0

Will that work for a home charger and be just as fast as 50% in 30 minutes?

That doesn't support USB-PD, so that will function exactly the same as plugging your phone into an iPad brick.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
24W from Anker: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YMZ4LD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_N1idAb147WJD0

No - it's not a USB-C charger it's just 2x USB-A ports at 12w each.
[doublepost=1510772392][/doublepost]
If you already have a 24w charger from a previous iPhone 6, 6S, or 7 (and their respective Plus sizes) then it’s not really necessary to buy the usb-c to lighting cable and the usb-c charger for your iPhone 8, 8 Plus, or X as you’ll only charge 15 min faster from empty.

What 24w charger? The fastest USB charger Apple make (and is possible with USB-A) is 12w.

Reactions: haruhiko

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
No - it's not a USB-C charger it's just 2x USB-A ports at 12w each.

While correct, that's also incorrect.

Again, USB-C is a connector. USB-PD is a charging standard. One isn't required to have the other.
[doublepost=1510772514][/doublepost]I literally just received an email from Anker with a link to this (wall) charger, supporting USB-PD via USB-A:

Edit: Link removed because the email states with Power Delivery however nowhere on the Amazon page does it state that.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
FWIW, the 2.4a chargers make a big difference, there are more options with better pricing, most [all?] use USB-to-L cables that you probably already have.

Again, USB-C is a connector. USB-PD is a charging standard. One isn't required to have the other.
[doublepost=1510772514][/doublepost]I literally just received an email from Anker with a link to this (wall) charger, supporting USB-PD via USB-A:

https://smile.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-PowerPort-Ultra-Compact-Foldable/dp/B072K6BLJJ

Holy smokes, I literally hit reply, and your original post updated in the quote to reflect my response :D

i.e., there are USB-PD chargers with USB-A ports, specifically Anker (I just put the black version of this in my cart a couple of days ago). I see you also picked up on the PD compliance discrepancy.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009

can't comment on 50% in 30mins but i have the same one and it charges noticeable quicker than my iPad brick. really like it. also have this one for my truck when needed and charges quick also. it came with my Anker dash cam.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charge...-spons&keywords=anker+cigarette+charger&psc=1

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
FWIW, the 2.4a chargers make a big difference, there are more options with better pricing, most [all?] use USB-to-L cables that you probably already have.

Holy smokes, I literally hit reply, and your original post updated in the quote to reflect my response :D

i.e., there are USB-PD chargers with USB-A ports, specifically Anker (I just put the black version of this in my cart a couple of days ago). I see you also picked up on the PD compliance discrepancy.

lol I saw that. Funny when technology works eh? But yeah, I sat smugly over the last year while android phones were blowing up and batteries weren't charging right if you used the wrong cable... and suddenly now were nearly in the same boat.

Seriously though. While buying one of Apple's Macbook Pro chargers is perfectly fine, there are Anker answers for considerably less that actually adhere to spec. And apparently both Belkin and Tronsmart USB-PD car charger options.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
lol I saw that. Funny when technology works eh? But yeah, I sat smugly over the last year while android phones were blowing up and batteries weren't charging right if you used the wrong cable... and suddenly now were nearly in the same boat.

Seriously though. While buying one of Apple's Macbook Pro chargers is perfectly fine, there are Anker answers for considerably less that actually adhere to spec. And apparently both Belkin and Tronsmart USB-PD car charger options.

Yeah, if that Anker product does support the faster charging, and you can use existing Lightning cables, then for $13, it's kind of a no-brainer. Heck, for $13, it's almost worth ordering one to try it out.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Edit: Link removed because the email states with Power Delivery however nowhere on the Amazon page does it state that.

Oh really? I'd never heard of USB-PD over USB-A - I don't have any cause for using USB-A cables ever again though and i'd rather not go backwards!

Regardless the one in that link was just a bog standard USB charger with 2x 12w ports.

I've not seen a USB-C charger for a long time not support PD.

Testing Apple's - the 29w charger charges the iPhone just under 15w (14.5v at 1amp) and the 60w and 87w chargers do it closer to the full theoretical rate of 18w at 9v x 1.9amp (really 17w) - all the other chargers with USB-C ports in them that were over 18w did the full speed for me too, including Ankers which whilst 29w unlike Apple's charged was capable of doing 9v at 2amp.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Yeah, if that Anker product does support the faster charging, and you can use existing Lightning cables, then for $13, it's kind of a no-brainer. Heck, for $13, it's almost worth ordering one to try it out.

Yep. What's funny is that I have the USB-PD charger and haven't actually ever had to plug my X into it. :D
[doublepost=1510773382][/doublepost]
Oh really? I'd never heard of USB-PD over USB-A - I don't have any cause for using USB-A cables ever again though and i'd rather not go backwards!

Regardless the one in that link was just a bog standard USB charger with 2x 12w ports.

I've not seen a USB-C charger for a long time not support PD.

Your first two points are spot on, which is why I removed the link. As for the second, I can probably list you a dozen Anker USB-C chargers that don't support PD before you see I've quoted you in this, lol.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Your first two points are spot on, which is why I removed the link. As for the second, I can probably list you a dozen Anker USB-C chargers that don't support PD before you see I've quoted you in this, lol.

I'd rather you post a link to this USB-A device that uses PD, I can't see it on their site anywhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.