MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin this week updated its website with a range of new MagSafe-compatible accessories that are set to launch in the near future, adding to the number of available Belkin-branded magnetic add-ons available for Apple devices.

belkin-new-magsafe-accessories.jpg

It's important to note that unlike Belkin's Car Vent Mount Pro and Boost Charge Pro 3-in-1 and 2-in-1 MagSafe charging options, these new accessories are magnetic and work with MagSafe, but they're not officially MagSafe-branded accessories.

For charging options, there's a 2500mAh Boost Charge Magnetic Portable Wireless Charger and a 10,000mAh Boost Charge Magnetic Portable Wireless Charger, priced at $50 and $70, respectively. Both of these power banks attach magnetically to an iPhone 12, but are limited to 7.5W.

belkin-magsafe-power-bank.jpg

There's also a Boost Charge Magnetic Portable Wireless Charger Pad and a Boost Charge Magnetic Wireless Charger Stand for $29.99 and $34.99, respectively, which are also limited to 7.5W charging.

belkin-charging-stand-magnetic.jpg

Along with these charging accessories, Belkin is introducing a $34.99 Magnetic Fitness Phone Mount that does not offer charging capabilities but allows an iPhone 12 to be mounted to a fitness device like an exercise bike, and the $64.99 Face Tracking Magnetic Phone Mount, a magnetic accessory that Belkin says uses face recognition tracking to rotate and adjust to shoot video content from any angle.

belkin-video-thing.jpg

The Face Tracking Magnetic Phone Mount and Belkin-designed app are designed to follow a your movements while recording video to make sure you stay in the frame at all times.

There are no release dates for any of these magnetic accessories and they can't be purchased at this time, but Belkin says they're "coming soon."

Article Link: Belkin Debuts New MagSafe-Compatible Accessories

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's not Magsafe Compatible if it's only 7.5W...

This is such a fustercluck...

Literally from the article "these new accessories are magnetic and work with MagSafe, but they're not officially MagSafe-branded accessories."

They honestly have no reason to pay apple to license the "Magsafe tech" until Apple provides competition.

isomorphic

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Accessories may be MagSafe "compatible" but it's a hard sell for some of these overpriced things that are half the charging speed. I'm going to end up making a papercraft iPhone dock with Apple's MagSafe charger.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
I'm not going to hate on the small 2600mah MagSafe battery that only charges at 7.5.

It would be great if it could also charges itself by induction but it looks like it's USB C.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
The face tracking option sounds interesting. Combined with a simple dolly, could empower the solo youtuber with more dynamic video selfies and other potentials.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I wonder if MagSafe’s limited magnetic strength is limiting what brands are able to do design-wise for new products and uses? I would have thought that there would be tons of add-ons flooding the market, but do recognize that the ease with which you can break the bond can be problematic for any number of device scenarios.
Maybe, but I find the bond a lot stronger than what I read about. It’s not nearly as weak as people make it sound.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I like that boost charge one a lot. Probably pick it up when it’s out.
I dont care if it’s 7.5 watts. I don’t need fast charging 24/7

Just make sure you get the RIGHT one:

$50 for 2500mAh wireless portable charging AND at 7.5w max when a 10'500mAh device does the same for $20 more?

BOTH are ugly but Belkin's pricing is asinine.

Reactions: Peter K.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Just make sure you get the RIGHT one:

$50 for 2500mAh wireless portable charging AND at 7.5w max when a 10'500mAh device does the same for $20 more?

BOTH are ugly but Belkin's pricing is asinine.
I don’t think it’s ugly at all. The one I was taking about.
what is 20$ more? This gives you the charger so you don’t need to pay more for a MagSafe puck, which I don’t like being white in the first place.
The price for the boost charge is 35$. I have plenty of charging bricks for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Piplodocus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Because I want my iPhone to look like my electric toothbrush when on charge... 🤣

Some of these have good usage scenarios, but I really don't get some of these over complicated stands. If it's gonna be sat in a fixed place for something like the pictured guitar lesson usage scenario, I'd use something better than my phone (like laptop, or AirPlay the phone to a decent size screen), and if I'm not, then a single big fancy expensive stand in one place seems a lot less useful than a whole load of cheap charge cables and USB chargers scattered in different places all over the house. 🤷‍♂️ I guess different folks have different ideas though and it makes the world a more interesting place.

Last edited:

waqas

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Minneapolis
I’m particularly intrigued by the face tracking mount. I wish there was a wired charging on it with USB-C for rotation and MagSafe charging. I’d buy in an instant since it would be great for FaceTiming with family. I’m surprised camera usage of iPhone would happen behind the scenes to track face. Privacy aspects with apps aside, I’m sure it is better than Echo Show 10 and Portal.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Tbh, I hate these announcements for unreleased products. They're mounts. Just announce them when they're ready to release/ship. I guess Belkin thinks I should shake in anticipation for a phone mount.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Tbh, I hate these announcements for unreleased products. They're mounts. Just announce them when they're ready to release/ship. I guess Belkin thinks I should shake in anticipation for a phone mount.
I’m sure it’s because it gets people to sign up for email list to let them know when it’s available.
so in returns Belkin or whoever does this gets another subscriber even if they didn’t want to be one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.