Belkin died, help picking new router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ready2switch, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

Last night our 2-year-old Belkin wireless router finally kicked the bucket. It had been suffering for quite a while, needing constant resets (weekly then daily, then yesterday 3 resets before the lights went out for good).

My husband and I are going tonight to get a new router. But before we do, I was hoping to get some input. The Mac in me wants to get an airport extreme, but I just can't bring myself to spend $70-80 more for 1 less port and the "apple" logo.

I've looked at getting another Belkin, but I don't really know if 2-years is a good life expectancy for a router or if we'd just get another slowly-dying peripheral. NetGear has had some good reviews, but looking closer they seem to be very model specific. Linksys has also had some good reviews out there, but aren't known as being Mac friendly.

Our network includes 2 laptops (a MacBook Pro-n and a Dell Inspiron-g) connecting wirelessly and a really old dell desktop that we use as a print and file server. The Airport Extreme would definately be the high end of our budget, but I'm not opposed to going high-end. Any help, advice, or opinions would be appreciated.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Airport Extreme. Period. :p

It supports NAT-PMP, which I don't think a lot of other routers do. It's much like uPNP for Windows, except it's for Mac OSX.

One very nice thing about the airport extreme is the inability to access the router via the web interfaces like most routers on the market today. This helps prevent any exploitation from outside sources.

I bought my Airport Extreme for 170 from Amazon. The fact I can hook up a hard disk to it and share it wirelessly throughout the house with my iMac, my girlfriends HP desktop, my Dell laptop, my AppleTV makes it worth it just in THAT respect alone.

3. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

Agreed. Love mine. Sooo much more user friendly than my two previous Linksys. Installs right out of the box and hooked up a printer to it within about 3 minutes to print wirelessly.

4. 23am macrumors regular

23am

I would say the Linksys WRT54GL router. It's a really good one. :)