Belkin Grip case REVIEW w/ pics VS Apples cases

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by stcizzle, Mar 8, 2015.

1. stcizzle macrumors regular

I'll let the many pics do most of the talking, but I honestly can't believe there's been no hype on this forum about the Belkin Grip case considering its thinner than the Apple silicone and leather cases and seems to be exactly what I've been searching for but not finding ANYWHERE!? I guess I should have tried Target first which normally sux for cases unless you're looking for otterbox or life proof stuff.

One important thing I wanna note is that I'm not like many ppl on the forum looking for the paper thin cases. I don't consider that a case. If you drop those super thin cases they could easily rip or cause a dent to the phone through the "case". I want some minimal protection but not minimal meaning almost nothing. This Belkin is pretty darn thin but still feels solid.

So first off I'll list all the perfect details i love about this case... Granted, many of these things are tiny details, but with a minimal case they are important, and given I love every small detail of this case, they all add up to a much better overall case than apples IMO

PROS

- minimal bulk- by my estimation, about 3mm (2 on the back and 1 on the front -lay on the table) AND its about 1mm thinner than the Apple leather and silicone cases as one of the pics will show.

- perfect angled (beveled) camera cutout (much preferred and more aesthetically pleasing over the straight edged cutouts of the Apple cases and the like IMO)

- great tpu material - about as much grip as they apple leather case but attracts less lint and is more scratch resistant, it's flexible but rigid enough that it won't stretch out of shape.

- covers the bottom unlike the apple cases, so complete edge drop protection. AND, the bottom opening has this cool inlay that keeps dust out. Haven't seen this method on any other cases but I like it.

-minimal lay on the table lip- about 1mm by my estimation, about 1/2mm with glass screen protector so looks almost completely flat. Much more aesthetically pleasing than apples which protrudes about .75mm more

- the fit is flawless particularly around the edges; I don't quite know how to explain it but on the apple leather case, the fit around the edges doesn't seem right or maybe it just protrudes too much but the way the Belkin hugs the edges just seems a lot better. You can prolly tell by the pics below.

POSSIBLE CONS for this case (but not for me....)

- the lay on the table is very minimal. I prefer it this way but many won't. For me personally, I can't stand dirty surfaces so I clean or wipe off my desks/tables etc before laying my phone down but if I ever question the surface I'm laying my phone on, I'll lay it down on the back of the case not the front.

- the ports on the bottom will not allow for third party connectors I'm assuming. Which for me, is perfect since I only use the apple charger and apple headphones. But I'm not sure on this, don't have any third party stuff to test it out.

- too slippery??? Not for me but to be honest anything is grippier than the naked iPhone and I'm personally more concerned with drop protection and scratch prevention. The silicone case from Apple is a lint magnet and impossible to keep clean and the leather case attracts lint too bc of the protruding edge. This case attracts NOTHING. About grip, I liked the candyshell grip but it's TOO grippy for me. No need for that much IMO. It's just enough to make it not slippery but I wouldn't say its that grippy either. May or may not be an issue for you.

- the top part of the bottom edge is a bit flimsy but seems rigid enough that it won't stretch or bow unless you're rough with it putting it in and taking it out.

- other than that I dunno, some may not like the logo on the side or lack of apple logo but those things don't bother me.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ITS HARD TO SEE BUT TRUST ME ITS ABOUT 1mm THINNER THAN THE APPLE CASES.

2. barrikade macrumors member

Great comparison pics! I'm really digging this case, as my wife has one for her 6. I too, am surprised there's not more talk/hype about this one on the forum.
    Do we know if they plan on making the same exact case for the 6 plus?

3. biffarino macrumors member

How flexible is the bar above lightning port and speaker?

4. stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

It's a little difficult to describe but it's the same material as the rest of the case which is a good thing. It does have some play if you deliberately try to move it, about 1.5mm both ways but it hasn't moved at all or distorted or stretched one bit. It's deff not a stretchy material like those found on the hybrid cases where the inner cores are flexible. It's rigid, but just flexible due to the thinness and just enough to get the case in and out without putting too much pressure on it. It's a very well built case. I'm interested to see how the durability of that part of the case holds out specifically, but to be honest even if it only lasts 6 mo it'd sill be worth it at $19.99 but if careful, I don't foresee an issue. The Thule case really bothered me how it bows out but this case doesn't seem to have that issue at all.

Like I said above, I'd recommend prying the top off when removing the case and putting the bottom in first when installing to prevent stretching or bending it.

5. stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

I hope they do. I know the 6 is slightly selling better but there are still a ton of ppl with the plus. I don't know why manufacturers don't automaticaly make both!?

6. rwkleinjr macrumors regular

I'd be ordering one right now if they offered a Plus version. Going to get an Apple leather instead.

7. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

How is that bottom part of the case holding up?

8. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I'm surprised that this case hasn't been getting hype, too. The 5/5S version (Belkin Grip Candy) is probably my favorite case, but it took forever for Belkin to release this. Maybe that's why it didn't gain any traction. I moved elsewhere because of that, but now that I cracked my Air Jacket Force, I might finally try it! Thanks for the review.

Wonder why didn't connect the top and bottom of the ports edge on both sides of the lightning port. Would have been perfect then.

9. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Gotta say - that case looks IDENTENTICAL to this (which is what I'm using): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LL5DV9U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

The Spigen Capsule has dots all over the back, which offers good grip + I think its actually BETTER than the Belkin, in that the bottom is even more enclosed. There are individual cut outs for the headset jack, lightning connector and speaker whereas on the Belkin, its just one big cut out.

Its currently THE best case I have ever used.

;)

10. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I've been looking at that case, too. But there are so many reports of the case not being snug.

11. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

....the case isn't overly tight - I can pull it off just with one finger, however its snugg enough whereby the case does not move when you handle the phone.

It feels more like a skin than a full fledged case!

12. stcizzle, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry didn't know anyone was following this thread lol but PERFECTLY FINE!!! Hasn't stretched or warped one bit like most cases which perplexes me since Thule couldn't figure out apparently AND I haven't even really been gentle with it either. It's still my go to case. I switch up every now and then but I always go back to this one.

13. stcizzle, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

stcizzle thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest I never even noticed this until it was mentioned. I'm really OCD though and believe me, at least the one I have is perfect. The only place that is a bit looser than I'd prefer is at the Lightning port connector at the bottom BUT I highly prefer this to any open bottom style case as the apple cases are.

When I had a rear protector on it was a bit more snug, but either way it is NOT too loose. Maybe if you're wearing super tight jeans I could see it sliding around a couple mm's but hasn't been an issue at all for me. I wouldn't say it's tight either, though. It's really perfect but hard to deacribe. That said, I had about the same amount of movement on the apple cases too on the Lower portions of the case from the open bottoms WHICH when dropped the corners of the phone can pop out which sux. Luckily this only happened to me on hardwoods so didn't jack it all up like concrete but that's when I got away from the apple cases cuz I saw it coming.

It's quite easy to take off and put on but I've dropped it a couple times and it doesn't slip off at all or pop a corner out, nothing.

Lol I'm not worshipping this case, but it really is ideal for me since I take my cases off a lot to clean my phone being in the healthcare field. And it doesn't attract much in terms of dust, prints lint, and is very scratch resistant. Like I said almost every aspect of this case is ideal.

The only minor negative I can gripe about is the finishing of the sides and logo of the case when it was new which I fixed easily by just rubbing the edge of a credit card repeatedly against the slightly rough joints and edges which smoothed them perfectly so the whole case feels smooth as silk.

Typing this I just figured out how to describe this case perfectly; it's the perfect balance between the apple silicone and leather cases. Not too grippy like the silicone, not too slippery like the leather, closed bottom but as easy to take off and put on as the apple cases and attracts less lint than apples cases due to the material and thinner edges.

It's funny because I literally walked past this case 20X and just assumed it would be just another crappy tpu like insignias but it really is awesome.

Give it a try, at the price you can't beat it and I've spent 3x as much for cases and still prefer this one.

14. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

.....I would still recommend the Spigen Capsule case, which I linked above, over this one. The Spigen has everything that this case has (including the cheap price - less than £10 here in the UK, off Amazon), but also includes closed sections around ALL the openings at the bottom of the case (your case has just one large cutout for all the openings)