Belkin Hub for Alum Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by curbyourdesign, Oct 16, 2008.

1. curbyourdesign macrumors newbie

Check this out.

Belkin makes a USB/Firewire hub for the Mac Mini, i believe this could work for the new Macbook's without firewire. check the links for information.

Grainy images that i found of the different ports
    http://belkinhub.blogspot.com/

Belkin store front
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=199941

not sure, but it looks like it might interface with both mini usb and firewire, i don't have the means to test this. If anyone has suggestions (which i know someone will) please chime in. Thanks

2. curbyourdesign thread starter macrumors newbie

why won't it, i want to understand why it won't work.

3. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It is an internal problem (Apple left out) and a simple external hub can't fix that.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The Firewire part of it requires a Firewire source. It does not convert USB to Firewire. It merely lets 2 devices access your one port, if you have it.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

If you want the firewire on the hub to work, it has to be plugged into the computer using firewire.

I have an external hard drive that has both USB and Firewire hubs built in, and if I want to use them both, the drive has to be connected to the computer with both firewire and USB.

6. number9 macrumors 6502

It won't work because you would need a firewire port on the computer to run the firewire hub off of, in addition to a USB port to run the USB hub off of. You could get it, but then you'd just have an expensive USB hub.

7. curbyourdesign thread starter macrumors newbie