Belkin N1 Wireless Router + MBP WPA problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weblogik, Dec 16, 2007.

1. weblogik macrumors regular

Just bought a Belkin N1 Wireless Router, it works perfectly super fast EXCEPT it will not work with WEP or WPA turned on... i feel like i have tried everything...
    Does anyone own one of these things and got it to work somehow?

2. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

can anyone at least recommend another N router that has worked well with their macbook pro???

3. ValientHimself macrumors member

How is it not working when you have WEP or WPA turned on? Is your MBP having a hard time connecting to it and giving you an error message?

4. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

It will not connect at all... Or it will seem like it connected but then it says you are not connected to the internet in safari, and won't let me browse comps on the network

but it FLIES with WPA or WEP Disabled

5. kraude macrumors newbie

Which hardware version of N1 router, do you have any idea of that? Because I have one N1 router with me, and I don't see any issues on my MBP though.

what is your N1 hardware version and firmware version? let me know, i had an experience to fix the wireless security issues before.

cheers

6. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

Hey wow a bite :) sweet

Firmware Version F5D8231-4_WW_4.00.16

I can't get WEP to work, WPA connects, but internet browsing doesnt happen, although after a couple of minutes a piece of a web page might pop up...
    I tried changing channels but nada. But with no security it ROCKS but i feel exposed...

7. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

I had a wireless N router from Netgear that wouldn't work with security turned on. So I took it back and tried a Belkin (wireless N). Still no luck with security. So I went back to my Linksys Wireless G (with speedbooster). I'll try again once they fix the issues...

8. rskang macrumors newbie

I have an N1 Router too. If you are having trouble do one of the 2 things (or both) if you have not done already
    1) Type 192.168.2.1 on your browser and reset router to factory default and set up everything again.
    2) Try Downloading new firmware for your router
    http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D8231-4&aid=5947&scid=222

I was having trouble with MBP and the Router as the CD that came with the router would not run. I had to figure out stuff manualy

This is how mine is set-up
    Security Mode WPA-PSK (No server)
    Authentication WPA-PSK
    Encryption Technique TKIP

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: I set-up a WEP 128bit WEP and that works too! I think reset should do the trick for you but do it through default IP 192.168.2.1

9. weblogik thread starter macrumors regular

Well I got it to work but resetting to factory and reinstalling firmware, but by my calculations the speed is about a fifth compared to leaving the signal unsecure...
    Does a secure signal slow things down??! if so i have never noticed before...

10. rskang macrumors newbie

Well atleast something worked I did a few a tests my self
    With WPA settings my download speed is 3200 kbps and upload is 400 mbps
    With WEP settings my download speed was 1500 kbps and upload was 111mbps

I tested here:
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    http://www.speedtest.net/

from what I know... the secure connections reduce the interent speed but seems like the difference is too much here. I have been using WPA on my N1 and I get good speeds. N1 is a good router and has a nice range Maybe a replacement might help but I doubt it as my WEP is slow as well by a huge margin. Your call

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

How close is your MBP to the router?

You need to use WPA2, as WEP is much easier to be cracked.

As router, Airport Extreme Gigabit is a good candidate.

12. rskang macrumors newbie

The router is in my office and But I would say I use within 30-40 feet away when I am not in the office. I agree WEP is much easier to crack but then I do not have any neighbors closeby either. I would be concerned more if was living in a Condo, Apartment etc.