BELKIN or... NETGEAR or... AIRPORT EXTREME

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrGeePee, Dec 27, 2007.

?

Which one ?

1. Belkin

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Netgear

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. AirPort Extreme

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  4. Other...

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. MrGeePee macrumors regular

Hi, im looking for a new wireless modem router. Im not sure which one to get, so some help from you guys would be great.

I currently have a 2 year old Belkin (54mbps). 3 months ago it started disconnecting every now and then. Sometimes looses connection for upto 10+ hours :( ....so I'm not to confident in buying another Belkin.

Ive always been a PC user until 2 days ago, so i have no idea how good Belkin or Netgear run with Mac's.

These are the models im interested in...

NETGEAR DG834N
    *270 Mbps
    *Upto 300m Range

[​IMG]

BELKIN F5D8633UK4A
    *300 Mbps
    *Upto 1200 Foot (Range)

[​IMG]

AirPort Extreme Base Station
    [​IMG]

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I can vouch for either Netgear or the Apple, both will work fine .. :)

3. MrGeePee thread starter macrumors regular

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Airport Extreme, then the Netgear. I have both ;) and they work perfectly.

5. doug.hall macrumors regular

Remember that the Extreme does not have an ADSL modem biult in so if you go for that option and you require an ADSL modem you will need to get this as well.

I have a Linksys modem (also wireless router too but I have that part switched off) an Extreme and 3 express units. I would highly recommend the extreme.

Good luck.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

As doug.hall correctly pointed out, the Airport extreme does not have a modem built in.

7. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

....how many more people should repeat it do you think? I think the OP realizes this.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'd go for the netgear, functional and they work great.

Belkins I don't touch anymore, most belkin stuff I have is dodgy.:mad:

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Happy Christmas to you as well.

10. Cudadown macrumors regular

I have had bad luck with Linksys and Netgear both. Myself, I believe D-Link makes the best networking equipment for everyday home/office use.

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

My D-link router is also problematic, it has a DNS issue which I've only just managed to sort out by hard-coding the DNS's into each computer because putting them into the router didn't work and refuses to remember an altered username and password once it's been rebooted.

So I can't say D-link are in my good books right now. :p

12. MrGeePee thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

I didn't realize the Ariport Extreme never had a built in modem

I'll more than likely go for the Netgear one.

13. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

The AirPort Extreme will probably be the easiest to set up. I'm using a Belkin Pre-N router and I've had no problems though (except that I can't get it to use 802.11n). The AirPort Extreme will probably be the least problematic though with your Mac. And it works great with PCs.

14. mpcoady macrumors member

mpcoady

The Airport Extreme is very easy to setup, looks sexy & delivers very fast internet with very rare issues. I highly recommend it.

15. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I'm also interested in a new router. For me, the wifi reach/penetration is the most important to me as I have my router upstairs in a fairly big house and need to access the net downstairs.
    I'd opt for the Apple Extreme but without external antennas I'm worried that it won't reach as far as my current linksys. Is this the case?

16. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

My apologies, I think I snapped there a bit :eek:

17. mike12806 macrumors 6502

well I've tried the dlink, netgear and the airport extreme. I now have a linksys business VPN router with the ae extreme acting as a N wireless bridge. Works fantastic with great wireless range/speed. The netgear had so so range and the d-link had firewall/port forwarding issues.

18. timestamp macrumors 6502

The AirPort Extreme is a pain at times. For example the utility won't find the thing so you can change anything. I found a work around though. Disable IPv6 in the network preferences and you shouldn't have any issues with that.

Also, I have issues with my Airdisk. It just won't connect, or the airport disk utility will keep rejecting my password even though it is correct.

That said, I do like it. The ADSL modem is only an issue if you have DSL, otherwise there is no point in having it really. Cable is better anyway :D

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I just ordered an AEBS myself, and then started reading the customer reviews more thoroughly after ordering it. It seems like a lot of people were having trouble and so angry about it, and most of them didn't seem to realize about the IPv6 thing. It is pretty unacceptable that Apple is trying to sell a device that can't handle a simple next generation internet protocol, but it's not like it's in use at all anyway, except apparently by WDS on Airport Express...

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would go with anything Linksys (a division of Cisco, one of the largest networking companies in the world).

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Which could also be a reason to avoid them in general, as well. Linksys was acquired by Cisco to provide a ready-made SOHO line of products, and has seen little real new development since then in the same vein that there was while they were still an independent company, innovating and developing in competition for their own success, instead of being Cisco's entry in the home (and very possibly a loss leader, at that). Even though they are a standalone division, there is always influence and "guidance" from the parent company that, in this case as in many others, I believe dilutes the original product development direction and emphasis to some extent. On the other hand, though, I think Linksys has gained some advantage from it as well, particularly in VPN routers (which is likely next on the shopping list).

My own experience post-acquisition has been that the general build quality & reliability have suffered from a lack of care or attention. I have slowly had to replace all of my Linksys (Cisco) gear, the last piece remaining being the cable modem, and that's starting to require reboots a couple times a month now. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, just that it's closer to Radio Shack than it used to be. I would rather have seen Cisco develop and produce their own consumer/SOHO line than just buy out a pre-existing label, though if I were in their shoes, I would've likely done the same thing, and bought the same company.

22. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Except for their surge protectors, the best, in my opinion. And their customer service was pretty good for it too, except it was a CA local number, which was weird.

But about the router, I voted Airport Extreme because they're just SO easy to set-up and maintain.

23. InfiniteLoop macrumors member

I have no idea about the IPv6 issue. I read about the Air Disk issues after I tried to find a solution to the problems I was having with Air Disk. I should have read them first. But forgive me for thinking Apple would not have released such a broken product. It is just broken. There is an older firmware that works better wrt AirDisk but that firmware is no good for the gigabit eth version... I think I'll return mine and look for another 802.11n router with NAS capability.

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you're right, it's pretty retarded that their own flagship wireless router has a feature that is buggy in tiger and downright broken in leopard. I already ordered mine, or I would hold off. I would use NAS if it worked, but I don't need it at all. I am sure a firmware update in a few weeks will fix this crap, probably alongside 10.5.2..... I dunno about the IPv6 though, apple has always been fishy on IPv6. as if I care, long as I can disable it.