Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lancgoose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Lancaster, PA
Hi everyone, I am brand new to the MAC world. My son recently gave me his old G3, and I brought it back to Pennsylvania and tried to get it to hook up to my wireless WPA network. I have a Belkin Pre-n router, and my desktop has a wireless card it it and works flawlessly on my WPA "hidden" network. For the past week I have struggled to get this G3 to attach to the network, and I searched all the MAC forums that I could possibly find, but to no avail. I saw many solutions, but they "were not quite" what I was encountering. To make a long story short, this afternoon I arrived at success, and it was so simple, that I must share it with you all.

"I had my belkin router set to acknowledge only 802.11g, never realizing that the G3 airport card only operates in 802.11b mode. As soon as I changed the router, the G3 linked right in. "

I just wanted to share this with everyone, because it was so obvious that it flew right over my head, and it's one of those things, that if you don't think every detail thru, somethings just fall thru the cracks.

I look forward to now learning a new architecture and profiting from my experiences. Thanks to all the searching and browsing I have done, it definitely wasn't fruitless, because I have learned a ton of things thru these forums already.
Jack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.