Belkin router - saves wrong password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whooleytoo, Aug 8, 2009.

1. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I just bought a Belkin N router (a F5D8236), and I've finally been able to get it to work, but every time I try and set a password on the router itself, it seems to save the wrong one! I've tried several times now (v-e-r-y carefully, checking the capslock key), and the same thing happens. Once I've entered the password and the router resets, I can't login again without reverting to factory settings.

If I can't fix this, I might just set the router up as I need it, then set the password - if I can't get into it, then neither can any hackers! :)

The whole process has been a pain.

- The box was missing the Ethernet cable, setup guide, and setup assistant CD!
    - I downloaded the Setup Assistant, and it keeps crashing, outputting a lot of error info to the Console.
    - It renamed all my network connections to unhelpful generic titles (my "Airport" connection is now "PCI Ethernet". :rolleyes:
    - The Airport icon in the menubar now indicates it's off, while it's actually on and working.

And now, I can't set a password to secure the router, without locking myself out as well..

2. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

...and to add insult to injury: I tried submitting a customer support request on Belkin's website, and that failed too with a scripting error on their system. Great.. :(