Belkin Router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by koulmj, Apr 11, 2016.

1. koulmj macrumors 6502

I have a cheap Belkin router I got from walmart. Every now and then my Macbook Air gets kicked from the network and I have to shut everything down and restart it to get back in. Today my router would not let my MacBook air rejoin after physically powering down the modem and router, and restarting them both, but my iPhone, iPad, and Windows 7 machine all rejoined. In order to rejoin the router I had to stop the firewall on the Belkin router, and restart the MacBook. Is this normal? The router says the firewall is stopping something called port scanning, but it's not coming from an IP on my network. What do i Do? Do I just need to buy a better router so that when i get scanned I don't have to restart everything? Do I need the Belkin firewall up?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

You should always keep your router firewall on. If the Belkin is giving you problems, consider buying a better router. Apple's Airport Extreme while not inexpensive, is an outstanding router sporting dual bands (2.4 GHz & 5 GHz) and the latest AC protocol.

3. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

Id just get a better router. Linksys (Cisco) has some great inexpensive dual band routers.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

For consistent, reliable performance without headaches, I love Airport routers.