Belkin Screen Protector Price difference/In-store Ripoff

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jaymulli95, Nov 4, 2017.

1. jaymulli95 macrumors member

jaymulli95

So when I picked my iPhone X up on launch day I’d already bought Spigen glass screen protectors so didn’t bother checking the Apple store.

However when I went in to buy the phone and saw they had a machine to apply it I figured may as well saves me messing about trying to line it up and remove any dust from underneath.

So I said I wanted one and paid the £29.99 they said it cost which is pricey but it’s the best screen protector I’ve had on a phone.
    Only now I see on the Apple store app online it’s only £19.99 for the same thing.

How have they got away with charging an extra £10 Instore?!?
    I’ll be asking for the £10 back but I’m not happy about them trying to get away with it

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There are different Belkin models. One is glass and the other is plastic.

3. darthbane2k macrumors 6502a

Not true - the glass one is also £19.99 online

4. jaymulli95 thread starter macrumors member

jaymulli95

The glass one is £19.99 on the apple website the Invisiglass ultra, which is the same one they apply instore

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The glass model is $40 and the anti glare is $20 per the Apple store (U.S.). Like I said.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    Looks like the UK site is either running a sale or the site is wrong. Not the same as the U.S.

6. Smacky macrumors 6502

I have read that the one sold in store has different packaging to allow it to be installed with the machine. The one sold online is packaged differently and cannot be used with the machine (something about the backing film)

7. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

After trying the rushed out ones from Amazon for $10, you will see why it’s worth it going with a known brand and have Apple install it perfectly.

8. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

What is the real difference? I have a simple one and seems to do the trick. I assume the belkin is thinner but what else makes it worth so much. I could get 20 of these for the cost of one belkin

9. eddie8620 macrumors newbie

Totally agree! I got mine installed and it came out perfect

10. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

With the two I tried, both of them produced bubbles, didn’t align properly, and one actually cracked when I pulled it off to try and re-apply it. I am not saying it’s worth the extra $20-30 for every $10 one, but based on reviews I am seeing on Amazon, it seems most are not good quality.

11. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Thats...interesting. Normally Apple charge a premium for the glass screen protectors over the anti-glare (at least £5) and the price for version to take away is the same as the one they put on themselves using the machine. The service is free, and although both versions of the product are identical, they are packaged differently (with different part numbers) depending on their purpose. The only difference being the SE screen protectors which are actually a little cheaper for the in-store version which they put on themselves.

Anyway, I just checked online and the price is indeed the same as the £19.95 anti-glare screen protector.

I honestly think it's an accident/oversight on their part, I'd be very surprised if the web price is still the same in a day or so.

12. rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

Ya I have serious bubbles with the full screen 3d protectors but with the ones that just cover screen I am good at it so no bubbles. I just wonder if the belkin is really worth such a huge price tag

13. jbuttnz macrumors newbie

The InvisiGlass fitted by a Genius, although expensive and 'notchy' seems like the safe and easy option. Very thin, case compatible and won't crack on impact.

14. jaymulli95 thread starter macrumors member

jaymulli95

I can’t see it being an online glitch, from what I can tell it’s been £19.95 online since it was announced I just think they were taking advantage of impulse purchasing on the day getting a £999 phone a £30 screen protector seems like a drop in the ocean.

Not happy though so will be ringing them up

15. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

My opinion has changed as my Belkin screen protector cracked without any sort of impact or drop. I will be returning it and going for the Zagg.

16. rsxmachine, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

rsxmachine macrumors 6502a

It’s one thing to pay so much for a quality screen protector with gorilla glass and super thin, but from what I can tell the belkin screen protector is horrible quality. The reviews on Apple website are 1 star and there are hundreds of reviews.

On a side note regarding the zagg ones. They note all this quality like sapphire infused, ion exchange etc.. but what is the Point, isn’t a screen protector supposed to protect your real screen. Who cares if screen protector scratches, you are supposed to just get a new one. I think the cheap ones are the way to go. The only important aspects I can think of is clarity, feel and how thin it is.

17. jaymulli95 thread starter macrumors member

jaymulli95

That’s a shame, I have seen some bad reviews for the 7 plus version so hopefully mine holds up because I really like the feel it’s the smoothest screen protector I’ve had by far,

Just take it back to Apple get them to apply a new one and keep doing that brand new screen protector perfectly applied every few months perfect haha.

A note on the zagg, I had one for my 6s plus and it was terrible, not smooth and had a halo around the entire edge that made it look like a poundland special