Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krazykid

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Did MacRumors Photoshop/erase the copyright notice on the images?

Comparing the images between the article and the referenced article on DailyTech. Is it me, or does it seem like they erased/Photoshopped the copyright watermark on the images?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Do you have any links with information concerning this? I've never been much of a hardware guy and it does interest me a lot at the moment :)
In addition to what has been written already:

USB is host-based, so USB devices are "dumb" and have to be controlled by the host (usually a full-fledged computer) via a variety of drivers. This not only increases CPU load (ask users of EyeTV USB hardware on older Mac minis about stuttering that went away when switching to a FireWire tuner), but it also requires individual drivers for each device. This issue has been partially mitigated by generic class drivers for e.g. mice, keyboards etc. that are included in current Windows and OSX incarnations, but you're basically out of luck if you try to use certain USB hardware on other hardware/software platforms without sufficient driver support (which is sometimes difficult to come by on those platforms due to lack of programmers or programming background information).

Several USB devices connected to the same USB port (via an external hub) can only "talk" to each other via the host, thus having to share the bandwith of that very port and requiring the host to be present in the first place.

In opposition FireWire relies on "intelligent" devices, where the logic is located inside the devices. This allows peer-to-peer connections and high transfer speeds without high CPU loads. You can connect two FireWire devices directly and use them without a host computer attached (actually the fastest network on older computers with only 100MBit ethernet - like the Apple Cube - is via FireWire (400MBit)).

You can read this up in detail on Wikipedia (amongst other sources): Firewire and USB.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
DO WANT!

Finally, a good, innovative use for these awesome thunderbolt ports I've got in the back of my iMac. And since I never use the two t-bolt ports for ANYTHING, this is like just adding more ports! sweet!

mtbgtr

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
why are you all complaining about USB 3.0? there's barely any USB 3.0 devices out there yet....why do you think Apple hasn't put them in Macs yet.

There are alot of inexpensive USB3 external drives with high capacities. Google search is your friend.

Are USB 3 ports not blue?

usb-3-hub.jpg

It's a shame - if belkin would have a eSATA + USB3 - this dock would be awesome - albeit a lil ugly :p

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Unfortunately, there is no word yet on pricing or a launch date for the docking station, ....

Par for the course for Thunderbolt devices. :(

I'm beginning to suspect that TBolt is having some serious teething pains.

The lack of price/date information has been strange, and then the story that Apple Preps for Thunderbolt Display Release with MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update raised a little red flag.

Perhaps adding PCIe expansion to all the new Apples has awakened some creepy-crawlies that were hiding in Apple OSX and/or Apple computers - but which were never seen because almost no Apples shipped with PCIe expansion before TBolt.
______

And now this: Apple Moves Closer to Thunderbolt Display Release with MacBook Pro and Mac Mini Firmware Updates

How many firmware updates are going to be needed?

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
One of the main reasons to buy this is to address Apple's stupid omission of Ethernet from the Air.

it's not a stupid omission at all. the Air is designed w/ ultimate portability in mind. like an ipad. if you so badly need wired ethernet -- plug it in via USB. problem solved.

this is the optical drive argument all over.

----------

I still need something with two thunderbolt ports so I can use two external monitors with my MBP. Hopefully a solution comes out soon.

why cant you daisy chain them?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
This definitely interests me. The price better not be insane. Anywhere near $200 and I'll wait till they come down. But this thing would serve me perfectly.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
it's not a stupid omission at all. the Air is designed w/ ultimate portability in mind. like an ipad. if you so badly need wired ethernet -- plug it in via USB. problem solved.

this is the optical drive argument all over.

Nice strawman. It's designed to portable so you can take it places, and that means places that may not have wireless (as I pointed out). And making something the "ultimate in portability" does not include requiring the user to carry a bunch of adapter dongles around on every trip. Yet that is the "elegant" Apple solution to several of their design errors:

- the defective headphone jack on the first iPhone, which 99% of headphones couldn't plug into
- the lack of proper USB I/O on iOS devices, requiring a clumsy "camera connection kit" to get pictures onto your iPad to share with your friends while on vacation
- the lack of SD card slot on iOS devices (see above)
- the lack of controls on the last-generation Shuffle

And this has nothing to do with the optical-media argument. Complain to Apple about that; they're the ones still putting a single-purpose Eject key on their laptops instead of a real Delete key.

gyorpb

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
Amsterdam
Wouldnt there be overhead on the controller or something in the Apple computer itself holding back USB 3.0 speeds?
The only thing holding back USB3 would the the "USB" part of it. USB has sucked form the beginning. Its saving grace is that it's cheap.
everything related to thunder bolt so far had an astronomic numbers, if they wont go down, I dont really see a fast adoption of this, even if it's transferring speeds would be instant.

MacBook Pro has a premium price already...
Some people want/need quality and are willing to pay for it. That is why FireWire is ubiquitous in the professional audio and video industries, while USB is what consumers looking to buy the absolute cheapest options choose. You do get what you pay for. History shows that, as far as most consumers are concerned, crapware that barely gets the job done is good enough.
why are you all complaining about USB 3.0? there's barely any USB 3.0 devices out there yet....why do you think Apple hasn't put them in Macs yet.
Because USB3 isn't available in Intel's chipsets, yet, which is what Macs are built around. Once Intel sticks USB3 support into their chipsets natively, expect macs to start shipping with USB3 ports. For now, USB3 is entirely reliant on dodgy third party hardware and drivers, and all the accompanying problems.
One one hand, this product shows the promise of Thunderbolt and demonstrates why it, and not USB, represents the future of computer I/O.
USB has its place. They are complementary, not necessarily competing technologies, although some people will probably prefer to see them that way.
On the other, this design is clueless because of its bulk and... a DC power jack?
As outlined earlier, the ports on this device together added must be able to deliver more power than the Thunderbolt bus can supply. It is not unthinkable, however, that the device will be able to function without external power, with the caveat that (much) less power will be available through the USB and FireWire ports to connected devices.
One of the main reasons to buy this is to address Apple's stupid omission of Ethernet from the Air.There are still plenty of hotels that have only wired connections (I was in one last week, in fact the nicest room I've ever seen in a U.S. hotel). And so what does Apple do? Omit the most universal network connector from the computer that's most likely to be taken on the road. Just as they make a matte screen available on only their bulkiest, least-likely-to-travel laptop. Total detachment from reality.
Um, an Ethernet connector by itself is thicker than the bottom case of a MacBook Air. It simply won't fit in the case. So unless you'd like a thicker MacBook Air, you'd be carrying a dongle around, regardless. The lack of (native) Ethernet isn't stopping the MacBook Airs from selling like hotcakes, which kind of indicates that Apple made the right decision.
Anyway, why attach the functional part of this unit to a giant V-shaped frame? If the core unit were detachable for travel, then fine. But it doesn't look that way.
This device clearly isn't designed to travel. It resides at the office or at home with everything still plugged in, while the MacBook travels light. Upon returning, plug in the Thunderbolt cable and everything is re-attached.

.tsooJ

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Perhaps adding PCIe expansion to all the new Apples has awakened some creepy-crawlies that were hiding in Apple OSX and/or Apple computers - but which were never seen because almost no Apples shipped with PCIe expansion before TBolt.

The 15" and 17" MacBook Pro's have had this since they first came out - ExpressCard is also a form of PCIe. The Mac Pro is arguably a niche product, but the MacBook Pro's aren't really.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The 15" and 17" MacBook Pro's have had this since they first came out - ExpressCard is also a form of PCIe. The Mac Pro is arguably a niche product, but the MacBook Pro's aren't really.

I know, and I've said that, ExpressCard is an x1 PCIe, but it has a very limited penetration with a very small number of devices. Drivers for ExpressCard devices are also developed with the hot plug model specifically in mind.

TBolt is much, much broader in scope.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
This device clearly isn't designed to travel.

That was the whole point: Why not? It addresses a problem that the Air presents: a lack of Ethernet. There's no particular benefit to making it massive. It could easily be a small box at the end of a short TB cable.

gyorpb

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
Amsterdam
That was the whole point: Why not?
Because.
It addresses a problem that the Air presents: a lack of Ethernet.
That "problem" is also addressed by Apple's Ethernet dongle, which, coincidentally, is designed for portability.
There's no particular benefit to making it massive. It could easily be a small box at the end of a short TB cable.
Maybe you should express your desire for a more portable product to peripheral makers.

You're taking a very specific issue that you and perhaps a few others experience as a problem, and blaming the designers of a product that targets an entirely different market for not catering to this issue specifically.

.tsooJ

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
yes I know HDD's use SATA internally but with the architecture of SATA that's where it should stay, the fastest SATA connection to date is 6Gb/s (and I'm pretty sure eSATA is still only 3Gb/s) TB is 10Gb/s so a TB HDD is just as fast and an eSATA/ SATA one just more convenient, and then if you have an external RAID enclosure eSATA is no longer fast enough to give you the speed advantages of RAID making a TB RAID enclosure faster than an eSATA one

and no I have not heard of eSATAp

you obviously have no idea how crap USB is even compared to FW400 if you did you would be hoping USB would die a swift death, but I have peachiness and will wait for a nice TB HDD to have a nice fast backup and storage drive, a USB backup drive is just painfull
If 3Gb/s isn't enough for you, you will like TB.
But for 99% of people for 99% of usage 3Gb/s is well beyond good enough.
You know, that's more than 10x from what you get with usb2 with Macs.

And now that you know eSATAp exists, wouldn't it be pretty sane to have eSATAp ports with combined usb3 speeds to Macs with costs of 1/10th of TB?

Check out speeds from here:
http://www.barefeats.com/hard136.html
You can see that usb3 with MP is 2-3x faster than fw400.
But enclosures are already cheaper and more widely available.
Although usb2 is way slower in macs compared to most PC's that have about 50% more speed with usb2, why settle for second slowest (fw400) or by far the most expensive one (TB)?
Why macs couldn't also have reasonable options available?
I'm beginning to suspect that TBolt is having some serious teething pains.
Don't worry, TB will be perfectly working with 10.8!
And this is only reasonable thing, because Lion development was started way before TB and of course because the secracy in Apple, different groups can't communicate.
Each USB 2.0 port would need to source 2.5 watts for standard power ports, or up to 10 watts per port for high power ports.
The 1394 port would need to source 7 to 20 watts or so.
The USB controller needs power.
The 1394 controller needs power.
The GbE NIC needs power.
Can't do all that with 10 watts...
The logical solution is to route magsafe through and take some juice out of it.
The dock could alert with leds, when it needs external power in mobile use.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
The logical solution is to route magsafe through and take some juice out of it.
The dock could alert with leds, when it needs external power in mobile use.

1) Apple has a patent on MagSafe and, for the past five years, shown no interest in licensing it.
2) How is it more logical? You'd still have to deal with a MagSafe cable coming out of the dock; it's perfectly fine for it to have its own power supply.
3) Furthermore, iMac and Mac mini users don't have MagSafe cables, and don't need it either.
4) All in all, it's more cost-effective (and more effective in general) for the dock to, like external hard drives and powered USB hubs, have its own power supply.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Because.That "problem" is also addressed by Apple's Ethernet dongle, which, coincidentally, is designed for portability.Maybe you should express your desire for a more portable product to peripheral makers.

So now you're buying a redundant product at additional expense to work around a poor design. Typical apologist approach.

You're taking a very specific issue that you and perhaps a few others experience as a problem, and blaming the designers of a product that targets an entirely different market for not catering to this issue specifically.

Another standard excuse: "Oh, this isn't INTENDED for that." What this really means is, "Whoever designed this didn't have the common sense or design acumen to make this product what it should be." Why do we know that? Because there's no advantage to NOT accommodating the requested use. Look at the module that holds the jacks here: All they had to do was make it detachable or not have the large "V" around it at all. They could have had it slide or snap into the V frame. Going on a trip? Detach that little box and hit the road.

Stop making tired excuses for poor product design.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
But it's pretty!

How can pretty be poor design? Just because "pretty" makes it harder to use? ;)

Is it? It's too much like a Taco for me.

Having said that, when these come out and are reasonably priced, I'll snap one up in a minute. A hub doesn't need to be beautiful, and if it's really ugly I'll just hang it underneath the desk :p

I wish Belkin would hurry up with price and availability.

gyorpb

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
Amsterdam
So now you're buying a redundant product at additional expense to work around a poor design. Typical apologist approach.
I'm not buying one, because I don't need wired Ethernet on my MacBook Air (not when I'm on the road, anyway). And judging by sales numbers, neither do the vast majority of MacBook Air users. That's kind of indicative that Apple made the right decision. Sucks to be you, I guess.
Another standard excuse: "Oh, this isn't INTENDED for that." What this really means is, "Whoever designed this didn't have the common sense or design acumen to make this product what it should be." Why do we know that? Because there's no advantage to NOT accommodating the requested use. Look at the module that holds the jacks here: All they had to do was make it detachable or not have the large "V" around it at all. They could have had it slide or snap into the V frame. Going on a trip? Detach that little box and hit the road.
Do you think that the designers of this product thought, "wouldn't it be fun make a product that's not exactly what that MobiusStrip guy on macRumours forums wants, just to piss him off?" Or is it perhaps more plausible that they thought, "let's make a Thunderbolt dock that people can quickly disconnect and leave at home or the office when they take their MacBook on a trip."

Why don't you go to the Belkin site and tell them that you would like a portable version? If they decide there's a large enough market for it, perhaps they'll make one. Bitching and whining on forums that this one specific product isn't another product that you'd like to have is hardly productive.
Stop making tired excuses for poor product design.
Stop whining that some products aren't designed specifically for your needs.

.tsooJ

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I've been looking for more information on this dock but literally since September 13th there's been no talk online. Anyone know anything?
I second this. Where are the updates on this glorious bundle of joy!?

Here we finally have a reasonably priced (They CAN'T charge more than $50 for this) and useful thunderbolt peripheral AND a solution to the constant hassle of reaching behind my iMac every time I want to change a USB plug.

EDIT: looks like it will be available around Spring 2012 according to this statement from Belkin that I found by googling 'belkin thunderbolt'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.