Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
I currently just have the smart cover on my New iPad and want something to protect the back as well.

I am not a fan of cases (I like the thinness of nothing) but still want front (got the smart cover) and back protection as well.

Are there any good at protecting and are they really thin to where they don't add much if any thickness to the iPad?

Also I like the look of the back of the iPad and really would like to just keep it as is so is the clear snap case really clear as far as it kind looking like nothing is on the back?

Thanks so much for all the info on this guys.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's frosted slightly, but is a good case. I have one on my newbie, waiting for the decent cases to be released here in the UK...The Belkin was my second choice, but I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Its a amazing case. I personally own it. I bought it from best buy for $30. It also is compatible with apples smart cover. :)

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I also have it.
The only minor downside, is that there aren't enough points where it snaps to the iPad, only very small snap points in the corners, none on the top, bottom or side, whatsoever.
This results in the iPad moving around a little bit, inside the case.
It's midly irritating, but not a deal breaker for me, as everything else about it is stellar. I love the soft-touch kind of feel, too.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I always recommend Belkin stuff. Their GripVue iPhone case is excellent, and the Snap Shield for iPad is also excellent.

andothfc

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I had one and returned it. It's thin but it has a loose fit, it was almost coming away from the side.

Also, the frosted version is very prone to finger grease, which makes it look bad. I would avoid.

jcborden

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I personally dont like the snap shield, I find that the fit is just too loss and everytime I pick up my iPad I can feel the snap shield flexing. You can visibly rock the corners.

I have just purchased the cover buddy from switch easy and find it a superb, rck solid fit.

Of course it might be that my back cover was just a 'bad' one, but y might want to try before you buy...

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
I know a lot of people have the Snap Shield but I didn't realise how poor reviews were for it on Amazon. Surely the Incipio Smart Feather would be better?

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
why not look into a skin from sticker boy, i carbons or a skin like bodyguardz, zagg or ghost armor...

extremely thin, scratch protection and some add a nice style to your iPad.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Don't bloody bother.

I've tried a few Belkin products in the past but always found them to be naff.
I bough two of these cases for my wife's and mother-in-law's iPad "3" but have sent them straight back.

They are made out of very cheap plastic and at £20+ WAY over priced. They are made of very thin plastic which does NOT fit properly over the iPad, and I have tried it on a iPad 2 and its just as bad. I've had a Casemate on my iPad 2 and its far superior than this bag of crap!

Do not buy these as they are VERY over priced low end quality.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I removed the case to inspect the back of my new ipad hoping to just blow away dust but I noticed a small section of the back paint of the ipad chipped away. I looked on the inside of the belkin snap shield to see some plastic on the inside of the shield protruding out, which look like to be plastic air bubbles. These have been poking into the back of my ipad gradually chipping away at the paint on the back of the new ipad. I might contact belkin about this to see what they say.

Last edited:

qpixo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Belkin Snap Shield sucks

Belkin Snap Shield is no good. I just returned and exchanged mine to another case, noticed it cracked in coiners after 3 weeks of usage and one of the coiner detached, while trying to reattach, it broke one small piece. It's really fragile and cheap material... But lucky me, I returned and exchanged at Best Buy, the girl didn't notice... :)

ivada

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Belkin Snap Shield is no good. I just returned and exchanged mine to another case, noticed it cracked in coiners after 3 weeks of usage and one of the coiner detached, while trying to reattach, it broke one small piece. It's really fragile and cheap material... But lucky me, I returned and exchanged at Best Buy, the girl didn't notice... :)

Agreed. Belkin Snap Shield is a crap product, it will crack and break at the corners! Spend your money elsewhere, with an i-Blason, Speck, or even some of the cheaper no-name frost/clear case-backs on Amazon. They are still better than the $30 Belkin! :mad:

qpixo

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Agreed. Belkin Snap Shield is a crap product, it will crack and break at the corners! Spend your money elsewhere, with an i-Blason, Speck, or even some of the cheaper no-name frost/clear case-backs on Amazon. They are still better than the $30 Belkin! :mad:

Well I exchanged to this one for $19.99 at Best Buy:
http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-Skinny-Sleeve-7,58,23.htm

It slims, clean and simple, great for travel case :)

JMBNaples

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Purchased on Wednesday. Took it off on Thursday to clean inside it. Noticed crack on Friday.

FAIL.

Goes back this evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.