Belkin snap shield VS Smart Feather

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by rzucker, Mar 20, 2012.

1. rzucker macrumors newbie

Hi, this may have been answered here already but which do you prefer. It seems that the smart feather will hold my smart cover on but the Belkin snap covers more of the iPad. Thanks

2. justkiz macrumors newbie

I prefer the smart feather since it looks softer which may not introduce scratch. However, I agree with you that it provides with a little bit smaller protection coverage.

Btw, I am waiting for the smartbuddy by Switcheasy.

3. rzucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Smart buddy looks nice too. It isn't listed on their website for the iPad 3. I just emailed them to find out when it will be available.

4. LostAggie macrumors 6502

The Belkin is in stock locally so I am off to pick up.

5. avgsort macrumors newbie

What store is it in stock?
    Is it just the snap shield or the snap shield secure?

6. rzucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Update from Smart Easy

Just received an email from Smart Easy

Your request (#18884) has been deemed solved.

To review, comment and reopen the request, follow the link below:
    http://switcheasy.zendesk.com/tickets/18884

Jordan, Mar 20 04:41 pm (PDT):
    Hello Richard,

We will be releasing the CoverBuddy for the New iPad shortly! We have yet to receive a confirmation of the Release Date but you can check back to www.switcheasy.com or our Facebook page for updates!

For updates JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
    http://www.facebook.com/SwitchEasyUSA

Thanks again for your Support!

Jordan
    SwitchEasy US Customer Service

7. LegitKid macrumors member

Well I just got my belkin snap shield for the new iPad from best buy just now

8. woods1110 macrumors member

I picked up the Belkin Snap Shield for the new iPad at Best Buy today. They have them in stock and are specifically for the new iPad, not the iPad 2.

I love the way it feels and it fits perfect with my smart cover. For the meantime I have found my perfect set up.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Best Buy has the clear (frosted) in stock. It's not the Secure though.

I passed on the smart cover today, mostly because I would rather wait until I have something like the Secure to hold it.

10. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

So Smart Feather from Incipio holds the Smart Cover on tightly by integrating it the Smart Feather . . . Belkin doesn't do that, but its secure snap shield holds the smart cover via magnet so when you use iPad the magnet keeps the smart cover away. Smart Feather doesn't do that.

I like both features above, but naturally one has it but not the other, and vice versa. Which feature do you think is more important? I like how the Smart Cover is integrated which makes for a more stable stand for viewing or for typing. In some cases when you type it's not stable and the iPad bounces up and down.

Holding the Smart Cover open using magnet is another good idea. In a video review I saw how the Smart Cover flaps around when not secured by the Belkin magnet.

Now to look into SwitchEasy.

11. Wangta macrumors member

Wangta

Subscribed - trying to decide between these two...

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

This is why I went with the Belkin. Personally, I like to be able to easily remove the Smart Cover when I'm not using it, which is most of the time.

13. mis204 macrumors member

I decided to order a smart feather to hold in my smart cover, and i think i may buy some magnetic tape to add to the back to try it out... magnetic tape is very inexpensive, and also a temporary solution if it doesn't work out.

14. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Hmmm, where would you get magnetic tape? Staples (office supply) or hardware store? Hopefully, it won't look ugly. :)

15. rcpilot44 macrumors newbie

I picked up two Belkin snap cases from BB tonight. Works great, seems like a little different material than the one for iPad 2. All in all I am glad I don't have to worry about a case anymore and my wife and I could just enjoy our new IPads.

16. mis204 macrumors member

Yeah, a home depot near me has magnetic tape... I also bought a package of .375" diameter and .06" thick magnets. they are extremely small and would likely not be as noticeable on the back of the smart feather. The only issue is they would need to be super-glued on, and I'm still undecided about performing a permanent modification. I'll see how the tape looks/works when my case comes in, and go from there...

17. ivada macrumors member

If you put magnetic tape on the back won't things stick to it like staples, pins, or whatever else when you put it in a bag or something? Isn't there some other material we could use that sticks to the smart cover magnets?

18. caspianwind macrumors newbie

Check out this Belkin Snap Shield mode :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxcnm_37gg&feature=related.
    This guys uses 3M EMI Absorbing tape, this material used in electronics to absorb magnetic field. It is just 0.3 mm thick and can be placed between case and iPad.

19. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Same reason that I prefer the Belkin.

20. number84 macrumors 6502

What kind of material is the Belkin snapshield? I too like to remove my SmartCover most of the time.

21. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It's a hard, but slightly flexible plastic. Not sticky like silicone, but does offer a better grip than the naked iPad.

22. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Anybody figure out another tape/foil to convert these cases so the smart cover will stick when folded over? The emi shield tape in the video above isn't available at places like home depot or Loews, as far as I can tell.

23. Emoo macrumors regular

The snap shield I picked up was much looser than anticipated for a back case that ought to be contoured pretty close to the back of the iPad. Returned and ordered a Smart Feather, for a few bucks cheaper than the Belkin with a coupon code off retailmenot. Hoping it will be less disappointing than the snap shield.

24. MrBambinoDent macrumors regular

Was it that loose ? Like the iPad rocks when you move it or what ??
    Cause you're the first person to say that.

25. Emoo macrumors regular

Whenever I held it, the case seemed to shift around a lot more than it ought to, and there were gaps in the curve of the case on the edge and around the speaker hole. Overall, it felt less safe than just going around caseless.