Belkin SnapShield SUCKS

lovespicyfood

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Just noticed that my frost Belkin Snap Shield has cracks in two corners today and the area by the speaker is broken! :eek: bought this at Best Buy when the first Ipad3s came out and it was the only new iPad compatible cover available.

JUNK!

Last edited:

rjbeh

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Malaysia
Just noticed that my frost Belkin Snap Shield has cracks in two corners today and the area by the speaker is broken! :eek: bought this at Best Buy when the first Ipad3s came out and it was the only new iPad compatible cover available.

JUNK!
Couldn't agree more! Really is a piece of junk, I had it for less than a month and the side corners totally snapped! :mad:

Comment

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I'm not and never have been a Belkin fan for anything for any gadget I've ever owned.

Belkin and Zagg are both brands that I stay away from.

Comment

sofasurfer

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I've never been much of a fan of Belkin products but like a previous poster this was the only new iPad case that I could buy near launch day. Mine just about does the job but doesn't fit anywhere near as good as my wife's iPad 2 Speck case. I just have to wait for the Speck case to hit the Uk and I will dispense of the Belkin one.

Comment

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
When I first got my new iPad, I bought a SnapShield for iPad 2, because there was really nothing else out there for me to use. It installed ok, but when I tried to take it off to get some debris out from the back, the corner snapped off. I didn't get mad, becasue I intentionally bought a case that was not fitted for the iPad that I had.

I now have a SnapShield for the new iPad and it's been good so far. Snapped on effortlessly and didn't feel like I had to force it on at all. I personally have had good luck with the Belkin stuff. I have a GripVue on my iPhone that's been very durable and protective. Keeping my fingers crossed on the SnapShield though. They look so nice, protect well against scratching, and keep the thin profile of the iPad. Almost feels like I'm not using a cover at all.

Comment

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I have the snap shield secure (with the magnetic strip), on my iPad 3 and have no cracks yet. Will keep a check, but am happy so far :)

Comment

Black Dawg Down

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
I also have a Snap Shield Secure for the new iPad and just noticed there are some cracks on two corners.

So I took it off and strangely I can't see them without the iPad installed. I traced my fingers on the inside area but can't feel any cracks. Similarly on the outside.

I think they were just scratches and not cracks. It's just annoying when looking from outside they look like cracks.

Will see how they go. Unfortunately there're not many cases out there with magnets like the Smart Cover. There are leather cases with magnets but they're soft and offer much protection.

Comment

Bob-

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2012
I have the snap shield secure (with the magnetic strip), on my iPad 3 and have no cracks yet. Will keep a check, but am happy so far :)
Same here, mine has been working well and looks good.

Comment

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
To be honest, guys, this kinda thing will happen to ANY polycarbonate plastic shells, regardless of brand. You're paying 20-30 bucks for scratch protection. Don't ask too much of it. I've had Incipio, SwitchEasy and other brands of shells that have all cracked over time depending on how I treated them.

Comment

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
To be honest, guys, this kinda thing will happen to ANY polycarbonate plastic shells, regardless of brand. You're paying 20-30 bucks for scratch protection. Don't ask too much of it. I've had Incipio, SwitchEasy and other brands of shells that have all cracked over time depending on how I treated them.
Except that these spontaneously crack despite gentle handling and in less than a month. That's not normal, and has continued for several revisions.

Comment

TSloper

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
A good shell will not crack at the corners just from being installed on the iPad.

Comment

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
So Belkin will not replace it, is there no warranty?

My boy only buys OtterBox and they replaced it with no questions ask just pictures of the damage.

Sucks man. These things aint cheap ($) either.
I know, Best Buy is selling it for $29.99 plus taxes but I got them to price match Wal-Mart for $15.83. No way I'm paying $30+ for something like this.

Comment

junebug1

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
It does suck that your Snap Shield or Snap Shield Secures are starting to crack, mine did the same thing in the corner and then started to yellow in any area where it had direct contact with the iPad.

I was pissed until I realized that you don't even have to speak to anyone at Belkin to get a replacement. I went to their website, filled out the info and they sent a new one. Cost a few bucks for shipping but knowing that every time this happens it is easily replaced makes me feel better about it. Advanced replacement with no human interaction is fine with me. Hope it helps some of you out there.

Comment

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
I wrote the snapshield off at first because my clear one cracked. I purchased the devicewear union but I wasn't happy with it because it left the bottom unprotected, was too smooth and left tons of fingerprints. I gave the snapshield a second try in smoke and I couldn't be happier. It hasn't cracked for the few months I've been using it and bringing it to and from work, it is grippy and it hides fingerprints decently. Plus as mentioned, Belkin will replace it if it cracks. I haven't even given the case a second thought since I bought it.

Comment

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

JUNK!
Same problem here. I have never taken it off the iPad, or dropped/bumped the cover on anything. It's cracked on all of the corners and the speaker port.

Comment

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
It does suck that your Snap Shield or Snap Shield Secures are starting to crack, mine did the same thing in the corner and then started to yellow in any area where it had direct contact with the iPad.

I was pissed until I realized that you don't even have to speak to anyone at Belkin to get a replacement. I went to their website, filled out the info and they sent a new one. Cost a few bucks for shipping but knowing that every time this happens it is easily replaced makes me feel better about it. Advanced replacement with no human interaction is fine with me. Hope it helps some of you out there.
Thank you for posting this. I just ordered my replacement.

Comment