Belkin Storage Manager working with Leopard??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Wongiranger, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Wongiranger macrumors newbie

As the (relatively :confused:) proud owner of a new Belkin N+ Wireless Modem Router (model number F5D8635-4 v1), I was looking forward to sharing a hard drive (WD 1600 BO14) across my wireless network, plugged into the USB port on the router. I installed the Belkin Storage Manager software for OS X, yet infrequently am able to access the hard drive from my MacBook.

I frequently get a message that the disk "failed to mount". Occasionally it pops up as a shared drive on Finder and works OK, albeit slowly.

No problems accessing it with the networked PCs :mad:

The drive also works ok when plugged directly into the MacBook

Belkin support unable to resolve...can anyone out there help??

2. PeggedLegs macrumors newbie

Same here. At one point I got a message stating something about the drive existing locally, and I had to access it as such. Now it just tells me the drive failed to mount after a firmware upgrade to v2.01.06.

Did you have any luck with your situation, Wongiranger?

Edit: Apparently it JUST started working by simply going through finder and clicking on my router. See attached screen.

Attached Files:

3. Wongiranger thread starter macrumors newbie

The mystery deepens! From PeggedLegs' screenshot it seems that the device shows up under "Shared" in Finder. No such luck in my case....except - when I need to add a file as an attachment to an email, or import / export a file in another application (eg. iPhoto). Then my shared devices - including the storage drive attached to the Belkin Router, show up in the "Choose Attachment" screen, and I have no problem accessing them.

Any ideas why the shared devices don't show in Finder but do when accessed through other applications? File Sharing in System Preferences is enabled....

4. Soulglow macrumors newbie

I may have the solution

I bought the same modem/router today and had the same issue with my Mac. Via the assistance of Apple Care I found out that you need to set up the Router as a server in order for it to be visible as a shared drive. To do this:

1. Go to Finder
    2. Click on 'Go' t the top of the page
    3. Click on 'Connect to Server'
    4. Type smb://192.168.2.1 and click on Connect
    You will need to type in the password you set up for the router, and that should be it :)