Belkin Thunderbolt Dock

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brightjc@me.com, Mar 4, 2014.

1. brightjc@me.com macrumors member

brightjc@me.com

I'm thinking of buying the Belkin Thunderbolt dock to go with my new iMac, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to buy it but I would like to know whether or not it supports the fully Apple headset (will the microphone on it work?). I will probably buy it anyway but I would like to know.
    Anybody got any thought on this dock or the others on the market?

2. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Actually the Belkin dock has come down in price by £100 since it was released, you can get it for less than the Caldigit now...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=thunderbolt+dock&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Athunderbolt+dock

3. brightjc@me.com thread starter macrumors member

brightjc@me.com

Caldigit Thunderbolt Station

Caldigit looks good but I prefer the look of the Belkin one plus it is designed to feed a thunderbolt cable underneath to plug it into my iMac.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I went with the CalDigit instead of the Belkin because of the lack of HMDI. Your situation is different since you have an iMac, but the lack of HDMI or an additional TB port (3 instead of 2) on the Belkin was a deal breaker.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

Do note that the usb3 on the Belkin only operates at half the speed (2.5Gbps) compared to all the other Thunderbolt docks (those operate at 5Gbps). Unlike other docks some Belkin users report stability issues with their dock. Some have gotten replacements that work fine so do look into that. Better to get something that works without any problems than something that looks good and annoys the hell out of you because of some issues it has.

6. brightjc@me.com thread starter macrumors member

brightjc@me.com

Caldigit Thunderbolt Station

I have checked with both manufacturers (via their official sites) and it appears your correct about the three USB3 ports on the Belkin Dock being 2.5Gbps NOT 5Gbps as the Caldigit one has. Also I think the HDMI port could one day be useful for a second monitor and the loss of the Firewire 800 port is really a problem as I have a Thunderbolt To Firewire converter (I have two Thunderbolt ports on the back of my iMac so I would still be left with the second one on the Caldigit Thunderbolt Station. Northernmunky is right though the Belkin is now £159.90 (It was £150 earlier today) in Amazon where as the Caldigit is £179.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine doesn't work.

8. gochi macrumors 6502

thats your answer!, thanks had the same question.

unless yours was a defect.