Belkin UPS and my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JeffreyM, Aug 29, 2007.

1. JeffreyM macrumors newbie

I recently purchased two Belkin UPS' for my mac pro and external hard drives. The only problem is that it is not recognized in Mac OS/Windows when it's been connected by USB. I've looked in Apple's Energy Saver system preference, in Belkin's Bulldog software, in Belkin's Automatic Power Managment Software, and in the Windows version of Belkin's Automatic Power Managment Software. In System Profilier they show up as 'USB to Serial.' Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

2. aviationwiz macrumors regular

Have you installed the software? Also, have you tried plugging in the USB cable to the computer after it is already on and booted up? Sometimes that does it for me.

3. JeffreyM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I installed the software that came with the UPSs and then when that didn't work I looked on Belkin's site and got their Bulldog software. I've tried plugging in the USB cables after booting, but no such luck.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Any other computers you can try plugging the UPS into?

OS X does an excellent job with the built in Energy Saver options in the OS. XP does an ok job at it as well. I would not recommend installing any of the software for a UPS....just use what's built into the OS.

If you have another system....try plugging it in and seeing if that system recognizes it (don't install the software, just see if the computer can see the UPS). This is narrow it down to an issue with your Mac...or the issue being the UPS/ USB cable.

-Kevin

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You did pull down the menu in the Energy Saver preference window to select the UPS correct? I believe the Power Adapter is always selected when you go into the pref pane by default.

-Kevin

6. JeffreyM thread starter macrumors newbie

I have multiple of the Belkin UPSs, using multiple USB cables and multiple Macs. It's so odd! It doesn't even show up in system prefs.

Jeffrey

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's odd...I just recently purchased a F6C1500-TW-RK (1500VA tower) -- Amazon was doing a $30 rebate. I didn't even take the software out of the sleeve ... it came right up as a power source in the Energy Saver pane without any configuration once it was plugged in via USB. As you know, you can install the software, but it should be unnecessary.

It sounds like you've got plenty of experience with these... could it be some kind of defect with these units?