Belkin USB 2.0 Hub Painstakingly SLow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by itsallinurhead, Feb 4, 2008.

1. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Any ideas why my brand new 7-port usb 2.0 hub would be so slow? It this thing nearly 7 minutes to transfer 100MB. Now it is adding song to my iphone at the rate of about one song per ever 45 seconds. Any ideas?

2. errol macrumors 6502

errol

This may sound like a stupid question, but are you plugging the HUB into a power outlet? For that kind of hub, you want to be powering it.

3. wildbill macrumors newbie

I had a similar experience this past weekend. I have a white Intel based iMac with three USB ports on the back. I have a simple 4 port USB hub that is plugged into one of the ports. I bought one of the WD portable hard drives over the weekend that doesn't need its own power source (it just takes it from the computer). Well I was transferring files to it as it was plugged into the hub, and it was going at like 1MB every 3-4 seconds. I at first thought it was the hard drive, and I was going to return it, until I tried plugging it directly into one of the USB ports on the mac. It started flying then.

The only thing is that I have a 8GB Touch, and it is plugged into the hub, and it seems to be transferring at a decent speed. Just for kicks I would try plugging it into your computer directly just to see if it makes a difference...I know it defeats the purpose of the hub, but it might be worth trying.

4. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

It works fine without the hub, and the hub is plugged into the wall. The problem is, I need all the ports the hub allows me to use. Any idea? I noticed that in system profiler whatever I plug into the hub does not show up under "USB High-Speed Bus," but rather simply just "Usb-Bus."

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What computer are you using this on, and which port did you plug the hub into?

Also, what other devices are connected to the hub?

6. Jestered macrumors 6502

most hubs will only be as fast as the slowest device connected to it.

If you have a USB 2 hub and you have a USB 1 device connected to it, it will slow all devices on the hub down to USB 1 speeds.

There are some hubs that do not have this slow down depending on the devices that are connected to it, but a lot do.

Remove all devices from the hub and try just a USB 2 device. If you have USB 2 speeds, try connecting your other devices one at a time and test.

You may have a hub that is only as fast as the slowest device connected. If so, you will need to either get a better hub, or have two hubs, one for slow devices and one for faster devices.

7. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

This is on a MBP.

Connected to the hub are an iphone, the receiver for my mouse, and a Canon MP500 printer.

8. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I removed all the devices except the iphone and had the same problem. However, when I plug the iphone directly into the computer I get full speeds. Any ideas?

9. DarkFlash macrumors newbie

I'm glad this came up, as I want to get a USB hub for my iMac, but wasn't sure what to get. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry if it seems I'm hijacking the thread. It's not my intention, but seemed like a good idea to jump into this one versus starting a new one.

10. itsallinurhead thread starter macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

I'd love some suggestions as well. This hub was $50 and currently it really does me no good. 12mb/sec is painstakingly slow.

11. sonical macrumors newbie

same problems with USB 2.0 hub running as USB 1.1

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problems. USB 2.0 powered hub plugged into my powerbook g4 15" *always* shows a data throughput of 12mbps even when nothing is plugged into the hub!

Does anyone have info on why this is and how to solve the problem?