Belkin USB 7port hub, random disconnects!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pyles, Sep 7, 2008.

1. pyles macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a 7port Belkin USB hub plugged into my Macbook. The USB hub works great, some of the time, but about 3-5 times an hour it randomly disconnects. I am sure most of you understand why this could be a problem, iPhone syncing, Time Machine backing up, card reader disconnecting, keyboard stopping to work, and I could basically continue this list on and on (by the way it just did it right there on the word "continue" [argh!]).

So this is basically frustrating, I had to rebuild a partition and LUCKILY saved the data because the drive stopped being recognized from OS X after so many disconnects. I have been forced to unplug the USB hub and plug in both my external HDDs inorder to ensure safe backups.

I understand that this may be a lot of load for a USB hub, but even when I am down to just my mouse and keyboard, I sometimes have to unplug the keyboard because it will not reconnect when the mouse does.

Does anyone know of a solution to this? Is there a workaround?

What about another "professional" grade usb hub (does something exist?) I just need a solid solution with 5+ ports atleast, as I have 2 ipods, iphone, printer, 2 hdd's, thumb drive, and card reader all competing for space on my desk.. as I am sure a lot of you do.

Thanks, you guys are usually great help!

2. pyles thread starter macrumors newbie

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I stopped using my Belkin 7 port hub, although I didn't get quite the hassle you're getting. Mine used to frequently disconnect an external disk when I plugged in another USB device. I replaced it with an IOGear 7 port hub with integrated card reader. Apart from the fact that the card reader is really slow, the hub itself has worked fine.

4. SMB-IL macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same hub with exactly the same problem except on a 2004 Mac G5. I've found that a restart will reconnect it, but unplugging and replugging the USB cable and/or the power doesn't do much good for me. Because of this, I've sort of assumed that this was some sort of obscure Mac OS X issue. If I find anything else, I'll repost.