Belkin USB-C Express Dock

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by juanfal, Mar 11, 2015.

1. juanfal macrumors newbie

I've spent a lot of energy, time, and money in Thunderbolt. Last thing, a Belkin Thunderbolt Express. My monitor a 3440x1440 UltraWide LG with 2 Thunderbolt 2 has been the a final decision after Apple ignoring any Apple TB display update.

The new MB12 is simply more than I expected in what a cool and beautiful design refers. But it has spoiled everything with respect to connectivity. No hard disk, no sd, no ethernet, no HDMI 4k, no nothing. And many of these things are still to appear, if so. :(

So it all depends on what Belkin (others?) is thinking about a Dock like the TB they lasted to sell two years after TB appeared. I sometimes hate Apple

Does anyone know anything about docks for USB-C?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's a brand new market so there isn't really much of anything available right now, but the capabilities and the fact that it's a much more accessible standard than Thunderbolt means that the accessory market should take off much quicker. I think this will be a great thing for Apple in the long run because docking has always been a sore spot for Apple laptops.

3. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I'm not AS invested in Thunderbolt stuff as you are (just a standard 1080p monitor via hdmi for me), but I do have a Belkin Thunderbold dock, and I love it. I'm now just hoping Belkin, or someone, will come out with a USB-C dock. I wonder how long it'll take before we see that sort of product?

4. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

Apple going USB C is the death blow to thunderbolt.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Kind of makes sense why Apple didn't update the TB Display...

6. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

When they DO update the displays, they will all be USB C and the thunderbolts will be collector items like the 17 MBP.

7. willgreene99 macrumors regular

willgreene99

But isn't the speed of the usb-c port only 5gbs while tb-1 is 10gbs and tb-2 is 20gbs? If so, then will there be contentions if one was connecting a monitor, an external drive and anything else?

8. juanfal thread starter macrumors newbie

The situation is even weirder, as the current Intel HD Graphics 5300 is able to feed an external: 3840 x 2160 but the USB-C is not

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The current MacBook is doing usb 3.0 via the type-c connector. In theory, that should still be able to run a 4k monitor at up to about 50hz as there are 4 lanes available to be bundled, giving 20Gb of total throughput, right below the 21.6Gb needed for 4k at 60hz.

I suspect that they chose to use usb 3.0 because 3.1 requires 5 more wires which would have greatly increased the diameter of the charging cable.

10. lchlch macrumors 6502a

They are using usb 3.1 but at 5gbps.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No they aren't.

This post puts it better than I can. http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20825473&postcount=510

12. lchlch macrumors 6502a