Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin in January announced a new HomeKit-enabled Wemo WiFi Smart Plug, which is available for purchase starting today.

The Wemo WiFi Smart Plug is the smallest plug to date in the Wemo lineup, making it an appealing option for those who are looking for a slim HomeKit-compatible plug option.

belkinwemo1.jpg

With the Wemo app, Siri commands, or the Home app, Apple HomeKit users can wirelessly control lamps, heaters, fans, and more with Belkin's Smart Plug. It's also compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.

The Wemo WiFi Smart Plug can be purchased from the Belkin website for $24.99. A three pack is also available from Best Buy for $49.99.

Article Link: Belkin's HomeKit-Compatible Wemo WiFi Smart Plug Now Available for Purchase

apl11203

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2020
I have the previous gen version of these (they're slightly wider). They seem to work way better with Homekit than Google Home, at least for me. Don't think I've ever had an issue with them responding through the Home app.

Comment

kjvmartin

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Detroit
Too far into the Alexa system with my TPLink Smart plugs. Would be cost prohibitive to replace. Also, I don't have anything comparable to Echo devices for control throughout the house.

Reactions: Huck
Comment

Pow!

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Toronto
After they dropped support for 1st gen Wemo devices receiving updates to protect against the Zigbee / Wemo vulnerability, I decided no more Wemo stuff.

Now that Belkin is owned by Foxconn we can hope that something changes for the better.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
I've used two of their earlier smart sockets. First Gen and 2nd gen with power monitoring.
While they both work, it's always a clunky affair interacting with them in their dreadful app. On several occasions I've had to completely wipe the settings and set them up as new again because they would not connect to the phone.
Maybe being HomeKit compatible will alleviate the Wemo app hell thats been a hallmark of this device

Not a big fan of them but don't know if anything works better.

Reactions: konqerror
Comment

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The good thing about HomeKit devices is you don't really need the manufacturer's app.

Not if you want your system to stay operational and secure. You have to do firmware updates through the manufacturer's app.

Belkin used to let you use their app without registering, but a recent change forced everybody to sign up for their account through a very buggy process (no third-party sign in)

Comment

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I guess I don’t understand what the differences between this one and the previous release? Besides the size is there any difference? Seems kind of a waste

Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
Nice for renters, but if I were to do this I’d just replace the receptacle with an idevices one of it wasn’t hidden behind furniture. A little pricey but a cleaner solution.

Comment

SDJim

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have the last-gen Wemo Mini and have been very pleased. I use them to control the lights in our terrarium on a schedule and they work great. I also have the peace of mind of being able to tell if something goes wrong with them while I am on a trip. HomeKit integration has been completely seamless, though setup was a little buggy. These being essentially the same, only smaller, and with a less conspicuous and easier to press button is all the better. That 3-pack at Best Buy is a fair price. I bought mine at $10/piece on sale at Costco earlier this year.

Comment

Marcus PM

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
I have 6 of the last-ten Mini Wemos. Overall I have been happy with them. The app interface is a little confusing. I have three inside and three outside. The ones outside are protected from rain but not the cold or heat. Summer heat to 95°F and very humid, with winter temps to -35°F so far so good.

Comment

rwrife

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2015
Fort Worth, TX
Umm....weren't the old WeMo outlets HomeKit enabled too? I have several of them and they seem to work fine with HomeKit.

Comment

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
I didn’t realize they had different generations of plugs.
Can I determine what generation I have if they are still in the box?
Any idea what the different generations address?
I bought them a long time ago, but haven’t used them yet.

Comment

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
I had been hopefully there would be more to these than a decrease in size, but alas there is nothing new here. The old plugs were still slim enough that they didn’t block the other outlet, and I’m sure they can be found at a discount for a little while. Belkin could have added an actual feature, such as dual band WiFi, power monitoring, nightlight. Something, anything to actually make these worth considering. I suppose for some it will be enough but I will not be purchasing these.

Comment

Chris58369

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2020
I haven’t had any problems with Wemo or tp-link they just seem to work. The thing I wish they would do is make them work without internet, in case the net is down or you don’t want to use internet they should just work!!! I do tend to like the tp-link better... Wemo messed up when they got rid of their appliances. Tp-link has wall outlets (install) and plugs and surge protectors (where you can plug in a few-up to 6) gotta stay innovative!!!

Comment

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
Nice for renters, but if I were to do this I’d just replace the receptacle with an idevices one of it wasn’t hidden behind furniture. A little pricey but a cleaner solution.

Actually only if you have a newer house (~2009 or newer) that has neutral wiring. Many older homes do not have the neutral wiring required for smart light switches, not sure what wiring is needed for smart outlets.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.