Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
They probably force you to get their internet precisely because of the first thought that came to my head: my sister has bell fibe I should totally get her account details and get free tv on my Apple TV at home.
It's probably a means of making sure that doesn't happen.

rebe1

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
I don't know -- Rogers unlimited gigabit internet with pretty much maxed out speeds throughout the whole day + pvr (albeit with a terribly ugly and slow interface unlike Bell's, but with a better picture) for $99 a month (back to school promo pricing), does not seem like garbage at all.

Here in Toronto, Ontario where I live, we only have Bell Fibe or Rogers Cable as an option. Between the 2, Bell is less garbage.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
How bad is Comcast's cable box? Here with Bell, they actually offer apps like Crave, Netflix, kids books and Stingray Music and the UI is not that bad. It's definitely the best where I live if you compare it to the competition that has a weak and sluggy UI with barely no apps whatsoever. Also, they both offer 4K on every channels that supports it (that means 2 channels)

It's bad, you guys are ahead of us based on that description.

And they charge a ridiculous amount per month to rent it. I'd much rather get an Apple TV and not have to pay any monthly rental fee.

antoine3001

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
They probably force you to get their internet precisely because of the first thought that came to my head: my sister has bell fibe I should totally get her account details and get free tv on my Apple TV at home.
Within the application there's a mention about the Apple TV app being counted in the 5 app limit for an account if used outside of the home (on another network). It's showing my iPad and iPhone as as well as my sister in law iPad as having the app installed. Pretty sure this is new because I used to install it to every family members, will have to be careful where I install it going forward.

I did not have to enter any credentials once installed, it automatically recognized my account as would a dedicated Bell Fibe receiver.

Just my observation but so far it work really well. Way easier to navigate the UI than the dedicated box, especially for on demand recording.

They advertise that the pause/rewind and recording features will be added soon and I think this means it will be able to access the main DVR, hence the obligation to have one. And to be able to subscribe to Bell Fibe you are forced to subscribe to their Internet package. Maybe they'll be able to make it so that it you don't need the unlimited internet someday, after all they're able to separate the Netflix stream watched using their receiver from the Bell Fibe stream...

If it was not that I use my second receiver to expend my network in the basement area where the TV sits (it's connected to the modem thru coax cable and I have a switch hooked to the network jack), I would replace it and the ATV3 by an ATV4.

It's not often that I can say that I'm happy with how Bell is doing things .
[doublepost=1478286518][/doublepost]
FibeTV has been growing the past few years with Bell. The only problem is, you need fiber optic service to get it, so it's not as widespread.

I was lucky, when I bought my new house, the neighborhood was wired with fiber optic cable straight into the home, so I could get Bell's service. The neighbor one block North of me however, couldn't, because houses built in that phase of the development were wired with old-school copper phone lines. The houses were only built about 2 years apart.

Bell has been really good about putting fiber into new developments, but they'll need to go around and rewire all of the old neighborhoods to get this more wide spread.

Fibe TV is offered even in area where the fiber is not connected to the house. The fiber must get to the pole close to the house though so it is a big upgrade for Bell, I seen them working in a small town (Joliette) to expend there, there were so much Bell trucks in the city it was insane.
But the fiber to home is required for the gigabyte service, in my area I'm stuck at 50Megabytes service, which is not bad anyway. I know that in Quebec City, they went all in with fiber to every home due to the fact their network was old, the city is old and more importantly so jammed packed that why not bring the fiber straight to the home instead of 10m from it...

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
I absolutely love this app. I can now stay in apple TV and not have to switch back to the bell box. Since I already had unlimited internet it worked instantly, I didn't even had to log in or anything. This is a great option for a second TV, use the apple TV instead of the bell set top box. imo the interface on the Apple TV is better than the one on the Set Top box.

For cable cutters, Bell base channels are around $36/month, which will give you a nice choice of lived channels and on demand offering for a decent price imo. I don't see the "must have unlimited internet access" has a problem if you are cutting cable and are a heavy user of Fibe, netflix, youtube, ... you will need it.
[doublepost=1480765485][/doublepost]

I tested this and it works. But keep in mind the "other person" needs to log into you're iTunes account on his apple TV. So you're are not only sharing the Bell Fibe but also you're iTunes account.... not for anyone other than a family member imo, otherwise the risk is too great. Also keep in mind this will consume huge amounts of bandwidth.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.