Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Well first off skype does not have 911 access its not a government reason for it not being released. Also shaw home phone at first did not have complete 911 details handed to the operator and they were still aloud to operate. Thats skype thing was not related to 911 at all.

As for the government making you break down the 911 fee thats not true either. Go look at at koodo, fido etc. No 911 fee. Its just some carriers try to make an excuse to charge you more.

I downloaded skype in the Canadian app store

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
To the OP, what is the fine print behind "unlimited data". Unlimited on Rogers, for what I'm paying, is 6GB for $30/month. Might have to look into Bell a little closer!

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Bells customer service lags way behind Rogers. All of their customer service call centers are in India. I'd rather support a Canadian company that keeps Canadians working...just a thought.

Feel free to spend your money as you like; I'd like to save mine and if they offer better deals, I'll switch. I'm tired of being screwed by Fido/Rogers.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Feel free to spend your money as you like; I'd like to save mine and if they offer better deals, I'll switch. I'm tired of being screwed by Fido/Rogers.

Did you even read my post? Rogers offers the exact same price. Rogers has some advantages, bell has others. But they are almost identical for the same price.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I'm not switching in November, seems silly with the new iPhone fourth gen coming out in the summer, I just bought a 3GS.

BUT, as soon as summer rolls around, goodbye Rogers, hello Bell! I'm not going to even look back. Rogers was telling me not to and that their network is "two years ahead" yet they're 7.2MBps and Bell is 21MBps and I actually have service where I work with Bell. :rolleyes:

I seriously hope that plan is right. That's an amazing deal. Unlimited data *drools*.

EDIT: By students, it is only university students? Or high school too?

modit

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
I'm not switching in November, seems silly with the new iPhone fourth gen coming out in the summer, I just bought a 3GS.

BUT, as soon as summer rolls around, goodbye Rogers, hello Bell! I'm not going to even look back. Rogers was telling me not to and that their network is "two years ahead" yet they're 7.2MBps and Bell is 21MBps and I actually have service where I work with Bell. :rolleyes:

I seriously hope that plan is right. That's an amazing deal. Unlimited data *drools*.

Both Uni and HS students as for the big 3 in Canada. Also, I don't think that the iPhone supports 21MBps as of now...

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Did you even read my post? Rogers offers the exact same price. Rogers has some advantages, bell has others. But they are almost identical for the same price.
Their network is 1/3 the speed of Bell's too.

And they're definitely not the same price. Bell hasn't even released any promo deals yet and I already talked to a rep and my same plan on Bell will be $15 cheaper. Texting and visual voicemail were incorporated into the $50 unlimited data when I asked (Rogers doesn't even offer unlimited data... >_>)

And their "fab 10" is nationwide? :O Roger's "My 5" is only for slightly-out-of-town for me. I can't even call my friends or family if I go an hour out of town for shopping. Gah, another reason to leave Rogers. Twice the amount in the rest of the damn country.

modit

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Canada

And they're definitely not the same price. Bell hasn't even released any promo deals yet and I already talked to a rep and my same plan on Bell will be $15 cheaper. Texting and visual voicemail were incorporated into the $50 unlimited data when I asked (Rogers doesn't even offer unlimited data... >_>)

And their "fab 10" is nationwide? :O Roger's "My 5" is only for slightly-out-of-town for me. I can't even call my friends or family if I go an hour out of town for shopping. Gah, another reason to leave Rogers. Twice the amount in the rest of the damn country.

How sure are you about Bell's plan being much cheaper, faster and overall coverage better then Rogers?

My current plan is this:

Rogers Local My10 Student plan ($25): 100 Weekday, 500 Incoming, 1000 Evenings/Weekends after 6pm + 6GB Data Plan ($30) + SAF ($6.95) + 911 Fee (50¢) = $70.57 [After Tax]

I don't get Visual Voicemail, name display or caller ID so should I switch out?

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
How sure are you about Bell's plan being much cheaper, faster and overall coverage better then Rogers?

My current plan is this:

Rogers Local My10 Student plan ($25): 100 Weekday, 500 Incoming, 1000 Evenings/Weekends after 6pm + 6GB Data Plan ($30) + SAF ($6.95) + 911 Fee (50¢) = $70.57 [After Tax]

Well, Bell's service kicks the crap out of Roger's where I live. Plus they said it would reach 93% of Canadians. There's a 7% chance you won't have 3G HSPA+ service. That's a nice percentage.

Nonetheless, even with their old service, Rogers is annihilated by Bell's service where I live. I have 5 bars with Bell where I work and literally 0 with Rogers unless I drive thirty minutes out of town. (I work in a different town than I live, and I bought the iPhone before I worked there, so I have to deal with it.)

I talked to a rep and they told me unlimited data, texting/mms and fab 10 (unlimited texting/mms/calling to 10 people + like 200 minutes for others) and visual voicemail, caller ID and who called is $50/mo.

That I like. Better, faster service for cheaper. Nice. :D

Oh, and for customer support, Rogers might be better, but I never deal with carrier customer support. Any hardware problems and I call Apple, not Rogers, any plan changes I use Rogers' website. Perfect.

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
Welcome to Ottawa!
(when you get here;) )

Thanks I'm really looking forward to it, heard a LOT of great things. Will be bringing a heavy coat though. Shame I can't bring my iPhone, I'm not paying those roaming charges for that long. I'll just have to mothball it here in UK.

I can't fit any other sim without 02 unlocking (doubtful) or jailbreaking, which I can't (3gs 3.1) and don't really want to do.

I only bought my 3GS in June this year, but if I knew I was going to have to be travelling abroad (Sweden for 2 months then ) so much, then I would have bought a more flexible phone (i.e. unlocked/unlockable). But that's hindsight for you!.

Anyway, with or without iPhone, I'm looking forward to visiting/studying in your country for a while.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

Well go look at the student plan I posted its my 10 nationwide just like bell. And I wouldn't trust the bell rep until its in writing. As of right now what he said is not true. Now that may change when the iPhone plans are announced. In which case rogers will match it I am sure. As for the speed thing rogers is already up to 21 Mbps in some areas. They announced the launch of the HSPA+ network last month. http://www.rogers.com/web/content/w..._-Network_0909_Eng-_-Network_v2_HOM_PRE_slot1

My current plan is this:

It may not really be cheaper, as for faster thats not true either by the specs that is. Real world only time will tell.

Don't get me wrong. I WANT telus and bell to be cheaper then rogers. As it will push prices down. But according to the information currently available the prices and speeds are identical to each other. Only a couple differences.
Yes bell might have special offer at launch. But rogers will probably match or beat those offers if you talk to retentions. Plus you will have to pay an ECF to switch....sigh.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

Sorry to thread jack but any idea if AT&T offers HS student discounts?

modit

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Canada

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
With the LCA (Local Call Area) changes happening, you and I can get out of the contract without paying the $500 early cancellation fee http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1572104&page=1&pp=15

Should I switch out before November 1st or wait for Rogers to match the new plans by Bell and Telus?

Well what I did is I managed to get unlimited cdn wide long distance for the life of my contract for free. This makes up for the LCA changes. Even though to be honest they would only affect me the odd time. But either way long distance is a thing of the past on my account now. :D

I am just concerned about telus and bells network stability. Since it will be so new. Telus and bell have always had issues with texting etc. Whats to say the new network won't have the same problems.

modit

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
Well what I did is I managed to get unlimited cdn wide long distance for the life of my contract for free. This makes up for the LCA changes. Even though to be honest they would only affect me the odd time. But either way long distance is a thing of the past on my account now. :D

I am just concerned about telus and bells network stability. Since it will be so new. Telus and bell have always had issues with texting etc. Whats to say the new network won't have the same problems.

Stability and coverage is important. I see where you're coming from. I'm going to demand the same (unlimited cdn LD @ $0) :cool:. Hopefully Rogers will match any future plans by 'Bellus' and Wind Mobile.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Stability and coverage is important. I see where you're coming from. I'm going to demand the same (unlimited cdn LD @ $0) :cool:. Hopefully Rogers will match any future plans by 'Bellus' and Wind Mobile.

I am sure they will. If not phone them up and get the retentions department. They focus on doing just that, keeping customers around.

For the long distance point keep in mind a CS rep may not be able to do it. I got mine from the office of the president and they gave it too me very easily.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Their HSPA+ is only in the country's five biggest cities. Bellus will have it for 93% of Canadians in a month.

modit

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
Canada
I am sure they will. If not phone them up and get the retentions department. They focus on doing just that, keeping customers around.

For the long distance point keep in mind a CS rep may not be able to do it. I got mine from the office of the president and they gave it too me very easily.

Alright...I'll escalate the situation per this path of least resistance http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=13087405&postcount=149

Considering my plan, do you think it's best to take UL long distance over whatever Bell or Telus has?

I have the My10 Local and with the LD deal, so I should be set. Plus I could renegotiate in the future...

Decisions Decisions :eek:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good luck, you won't be missed.;)

^ Attitude like this serves no1. Instead of wise-cracking you should consider 1 voice lost of demanding better service from the largest carrier in North America (by revenues & userbase) is 1 vote not counted. Considering we have 1/8th the population using wireless phones and 1/20th less the amount of users using data on their cellphones/smartphones - ask yourself why 3 of our providers can afford and deliver HSPA+ in less than 12mths nationwide and why AT&T is taking your dollars and screwing you with reach-around excuses??? Hmmm.

That said a person's choice to move to any country shouldn't be mocked as I'm sure they've tought it out thoroughly. Also we're amongst your largest exports, so be nice.

Then I guess Skype addressed Canadian 911 compliance, because that was the reason.

Not sure but we've had Skype in the Canadian iTunes store for about 15days (it was there when I bought my 3GS).

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Their HSPA+ is only in the country's five biggest cities. Bellus will have it for 93% of Canadians in a month.

Rogers' HSPA+ coverage is a LOT farther ahead than simply 5 major cities; although not nationwide as of yet. Don't be fooled, Rogers still offers the LARGEST corporate price plans (some much better than others that really don't offer anything as a discount). It will take a few months for corporations to be woo'd to Telus. I'm just hoping the partnered networks between Telus & Bell will be able to handle large user base under heavy load, cause if that HSPA+ goes down for an outtage there will be NO GPRS/EDGE/GSM to be there as a backup.

Oh and if Wind is going 1700/2100mhz AWS bands like TMobile USA I will not consider them as handset economies of scale doesn't favor them for the near future. we'll see though.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Rogers' HSPA+ coverage is a LOT farther ahead than simply 5 major cities; although not nationwide as of yet. Don't be fooled, Rogers still offers the LARGEST corporate price plans (some much better than others that really don't offer anything as a discount). It will take a few months for corporations to be woo'd to Telus. I'm just hoping the partnered networks between Telus & Bell will be able to handle large user base under heavy load, cause if that HSPA+ goes down for an outtage there will be NO GPRS/EDGE/GSM to be there as a backup.

Oh and if Wind is going 1700/2100mhz AWS bands like TMobile USA I will not consider them as handset economies of scale doesn't favor them for the near future. we'll see though.
That would blow chunks...that said you canadians would really have to make an effort to screw up your UMTS networks as you'll never have capactiy issues like the US, especially if tellus/bell are even a little smarter in there network planning than AT&T, it worked for Japan it should work for Canada. You could in that always roam onto another UMTS/GSM network though. About the 1700/2100 thing you mentioned I heard rumors of a cellular company interested in using that allocation in Canada, not sure where though....

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Alright...I'll escalate the situation per this path of least resistance http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=13087405&postcount=149

Considering my plan, do you think it's best to take UL long distance over whatever Bell or Telus has?

I have the My10 Local and with the LD deal, so I should be set. Plus I could renegotiate in the future...

Decisions Decisions :eek:

Yup that should work. I have been involved in that thread as macman64. :)

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Not sure but we've had Skype in the Canadian iTunes store for about 15days (it was there when I bought my 3GS).

Yes, I know. I was talking about when Skype for iPhone first launched last year (or however long ago it was). I downloaded it from the US store at that time and I have had it since.

I know I guess i worded that poorly. What I am saying is its delay in being released was not government related.

Sorry, but it was entirely government related, and according to CBC I was correct as well. Besides the fact that Skype didn't offer 911 support (see article), it was also used an audio codex that was (at the time) restricted by the government.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/09/08/skype-iphone.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.