Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Well I just moved into my first apartment this weekend and I decided to splurge and get Bellsouth's new 3 mbps DSL Xtreme and get a Linksys wireless router to go with it. It took a couple of days to get instructions after a call to tech support for them to tell me I had to set extra preferences to use the DSL modem with a router after two days of no success. Now I get a pretty consistant 2.1-2.2 mbps according to CNet's broadband meter while connecting wirelessly, which I suppose is pretty decent, but nothing else works. The setup CD changed all of my configs around and my email, iChat, Safari programs act oddly on me. I can sometimes surf sites with Safari and I think after trashing the plist file, it works now. The only problem is that I cannot check email with Mail and I cannot get iChat to always connect. I called Bellsouth and they told me it is because they only work with Outlook Express and AIM only. I told them the error message, which says that I cannot connect to port 110 and after two calls, I finally found out from a tech that it should be port 1180, so I check but they told me to call back instead of having the tech guy wait for me to configure Mail since I told him I did not have Outlook. Port 1180 doesn't work, either, though, and the only response I get is that "We don't support anything but Outlook, if you want to use Bellsouth Fast Access DSL, you must use IE 6 and Outlook Express only". I cannot believe this must be the case since it's just a matter of setting the correct preferences. Does anyone else use Bellsouth DSL without using IE or Outlook? How do you configure the settings, and if it isn't settings, then could it be the router somehow preventing me from connecting to the correct port?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm using the standard BellSouth DSL 1.25Mbps/256Kbps with a Linksys Gigaswitch and wired Ethernet.

I first used it by configuring a PPPoE connection but after the service had been down a while, I re-configured using their CD-ROM setup. It changed the web home page but that's about it.

Their technical support isn't that great but I'm surprised that they told you to use IE6 or Outlook Express since they're not even available for Mac OS X.

kristopher902

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2004
no problems with BellSouth at the moment

i have BellSouth FastAccess DSL at 1.5Mbps/256kbps. i am using a Westell modem connect over Ethernet. Initially it was set up on my iMac running Jaguar using the set-up CD that came when i activated my account. the installer i got worked with Mac OS X. Later i upgraded to a new eMac and when i went through the Setup Assistant it automatcially detected the DSL modem and had me setup. i think you might want to try simple going into the System Preferences and if your using Panther, there is a button that says "Assist Me". This will launch the Network Setup Assistant which might help. Hope it all works out!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I know, I told them that and the tech guy didn't understand. I told him I use Mac OS X and he asked me what program that was because he never heard of it and asked me to call him back after I download OE and configure it and still have problems. Since that isn't possible I am just not using my Bellsouth email or anything since there seems to be no ability to use these features if you don't have Windows as far as they are concerned. If you pop in the config CD and browse around, most everything runs in Classic, anyway, so it's hard to figure out if they even know that Macs have something beyond OS 9 these days.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Something I have learnt from experience is to *never* use the CD that the ISP supplies (or the one that comes with the printer, digital camera, etc). Always do it the "proper" way and use Apple's setup assistant :)

I guess it's too late for that now though. As for only supporting IE and Outlook, it's just that they don't want to provide tech support for anything else. I highly doubt that they've put any sort of block on there to stop you from using anything else.

What's your physical configuration like? You've got a DSL modem with one end plugged into the phone line and the other end into your router? If you've enabled DHCP on your router than you should be able to tell your Mac to automatically configure everything for you.

But on the other hand, if your ISP's doing something weird then what I've just told you may be no help whatsoever :(

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I have my DSL connected from the phone line to the Westell Wirespeed DSL modem and then an ethernet going from the modem to the WAN port on my Linksys Wireless-B broadband router. It is connected through the Airport Extreme on my PowerBook and I had to configure the modem to bridge the ethernet and disable DHCP. Then, I had to go and configure the router by telling it to connect through PPPoE and supply my Bellsouth email and password for the login and tell it to redial every 180 seconds like the guy from tech support told me to. I think that's about all I did as far as configuration. The CD did whatever it did and screwed some settings up and set some Bellsouth portal as my webpage, which never opens correctly and gives me a "host cannot be found" error and it reset my .Mac email address and added my Bellsouth email, which never connects because it says it is unable to connect through port 110. That's about where I am lost since I have no clue how to get it to work because everything seems to be set correctly.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That sounds right up to the PPPoE and re-dial, but if they have no idea was Mac OS X is, you should be talking to another support person.

I'm including my settings, but the router in my case is the Westell DSL modem, which is handing out addresses and is connected directly to my Ethernet switch.

They apparently sent you the wrong setup utility, as mine worked natively.

Attachments

• BellSouth.jpg
    BellSouth.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 133

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
my setup is a little different because my house has a fiber-optic phone line, so i don't need a modem... but otherwise, i connect via ethernet from the wall to a d-link wireless-b router. i've got one computer going via ethernet which is the family hp :rolleyes: ... then i connect from my iMac via airport wirelessly...

as far as settings on the router they look like this: PPPoE; Dynamic PPPoE; username is your default xxxxx@bellsouth.net email address; password should be your phonenumber unless you changed it; nothing else is changed except for 1492 under MTU (but i think that is default)

i've never had any problems with the hp or when i got my iMac a couple of months later... i just choose the network from the list... and use DHCP ofcourse...

but you mentioned problems with mail... i've not had any issues using my bellsouth account with mail... here's the settings again: username is username, password is your password, incoming mail server is mail.bellsouth.net. outgoing mail server is mail.bellsouth.net... in the "server settings" for the outgoing server the port of set to 25 (that's the email port right), SSL is not checked, and authentication is none...

hopefully you just made a careless mistake in your mail settings... make sure they are .net and not .com...

hope i could help,
reality

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Thanks for the suggestions, but still no luck with Mail connecting to Bellsouth. I guess I'll just pretend it isn't there and stick to .Mac instead.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Powerbook G5 said:
Do you need those DNS servers entered in?

Probably not but I added the DNS addresses recently because it spends too much time lately looking for address translations. I spent a long time without them but this is the first ISP which didn't give me any to add.

Vilacr

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2002
For pop3 type in mail.lig.bellsouth.net then your password and for smtp also type in mail.lig.bellsouth.net and your password. Do this under network. Hope it helps it worked for me. Also the westell modem has a built in router so you only need a switch.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Vilacr said:
For pop3 type in mail.lig.bellsouth.net then your password and for smtp also type in mail.lig.bellsouth.net and your password. Do this under network. Hope it helps it worked for me. Also the westell modem has a built in router so you only need a switch.

For Powerbook G5, it's probably mail.jax.bellsouth.net :)

Gmoney20

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
bellsouth dsl reg problem

hello

i have a question for you guys that have successfully registered your account with bellsouth fastaccess dsl. i recently signed up for service and have received my install cd but when going thru the install process i reach a page that tells me my computer does not meet the min req. i can't complete my registration. i am currently connected but am using the attreg@att.net user ID and attreg password. how were you able to successfully create your bellsouth user ID and password and complete registration. The techs at bellsouth don't have a clue!

I am using an ibook 1.33 GHz PwrPC G4, 512 MB, running OSX 10.4.11

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.