BEN-Q SW271 Monitor #Fail :( Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sam5281, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Sam5281 macrumors regular

Hey guys

FINALLY got around to unpacking this BEN-Q SW271 monitor.

Had thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter + a thunderbolt cable ready for use w my late 2013 MBP.

After the entire morning of attempting to connect, nothing. Called Ben-Q for tech support - not a single person there to answer phones.

The display WORKS ; as I fail safed it by a normal HDMI to HDMI connection which produces picture. But of course not at 4k.

Unsure what to do? Or what Im doing wrong? Even spoke w/ support at B&H who told me the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter doesn't support displays? Not sure...anyway, I'm at a complete loss. Almost want to bail on the entire unit itself. I am sure Thunderbolt 3 to 3 (on a new Mac) would be a cake walk? But I am not buying a new laptop to run a monitor...

2. Chuck Rodent macrumors regular

Chuck Rodent

The Apple support page for the TB3 to TB2 adapter specifically says that the adapter does not support USB C displays:

"The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to these devices:

• Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) bus-powered devices
    • USB-C devices, displays, and adapters that don't have Thunderbolt"
    You can use HDMI to get 4K at 24 Hz. Your Macbook Pro will not drive a 4K display at 60 Hz. I hooked up my late 2013 15" Retina MBP to a 4K display and it will give 4K at lower refresh.

3. Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay,

So spoke w Ben Q. Was directed to use a Thunderbolt 2 -> Display Port.

Currently just tried the mini DP to DP cable included in the Display / and I have signal to the monitor and think I've got it @ 4K - when "scaled".

Attached Files:

4. Chuck Rodent macrumors regular

Chuck Rodent

That's great, 4K without scaling is too small on the UI for use anyway.

5. Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

Im confused now, as when running the monitor "Scaled" everything on the Ben-Q is pretty small. Not sure if there is a way to adjust that? Or....

6. Chuck Rodent macrumors regular

Chuck Rodent

Go into System Preferences --> Display --> Scaled and choose what looks best. Hit Option key to see all of the resolutions.

7. Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, thats how I got into ability to run it in 4k (3840 x 2160) BUT when it is selected in this scaled size everything on screen is extremely small. Not sure if that makes sense : I can get some screen shots which may help represent....

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Sounds like you're applying the resolution, but not scaling.

9. Sam5281 thread starter macrumors regular

Scaling is the only option in display. It shows what resolution the scaled choice results as.

Guys help me out here as I am in a big decision ; to possible even sell the Ben-Q monitor as its been so hard, and frustrating to get to use. In fact, haven't even used it yet. *Sigh*

10. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Does your Display Preferences window look like this one? displaypref.jpg