Bench scores still disappointing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by petsk, Apr 24, 2016.

1. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

I calculated the average geekbench score for the skylake m3 version and it is still at a very low level. The 2012 Macbook Air with base i5 is a tiny bit faster. Not impressive.

When you pay 1500€ one would expect at least the m5 or even m7 in the entry level machine and not the slower m3. I can see no other explanation than greed to explain Apples decision on this.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I'm sorry you're disappointed about the performance of Apple's slowest Mac. Computers have reached the point where even the low end machines handle just about everything we do. Fortunately they sell faster models if you want one.

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Your not wrong and these tests are to be taken with a pinch of salt IMO especially as they are not sustained however the 2012 SDD speed will be down 50% compared to todays models

Design aspects aside of the rMB what's really the trend (none more so with the rMB )is for daily tasks we all tend to over spec our laptops/PC's etc and a few seconds saving here and there is more a function of the SDD/Mem than CPU

The rMB has always been form over function at a high price that Apple can carry to a captive audience and those that can easily afford it.

If your stuck on OSX/IOS then just suck it up I'm afraid and get use to buying 2/3/4 devices, its the more deliberate stinting and lack of overlapping between Apple devices along with over recycling with just a little bit of spice to keep you going that grates me

4. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

Buy an Air or Pro. Problem solved. And of course Apple want to make money. They would make you pay €1m for a MacBook if you'd pay it. They're not a charity, their intent is to make as much money as possible. It's not greed, it's capitalism and economics.

Anyone know of a charity that makes computers?

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

In a completely un_scientific test, I'm pleased to report that my fresh new MB is noticeably faster than the one year old model it replaced. :D

6. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Better iGPU, faster RAM, slightly faster CPU, faster SSD, combine those with an extra hour of battery life and I'm pretty content with the improvement. Not worth to upgrade the 2015 model for, but those of us like me who have waited for this are happy. I didn't really expect them to include a second Type-C but a 720p Facetime camera would have been perfect.

7. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I am not surprised this is portability first device like the original Air (which people initially compared to a netbook) I've got a feeling for the power users the refreshed MBP will provide a good compromise.

8. keviig macrumors 6502

Which version did you have before and which one do you have now? :D

9. kart macrumors member

I have the 2015 1.2GHz 512gb model..purchased it for $900 off retail price (still brand new and sealed) and I love it. Easily handles everything I chuck at it, although its nothing too much. Speed comes second to how light and beautiful this piece of technology is for me. Would I pay the $2500, retail of the machine here in Aus? probably not...but for the price I got it for, I am more then happy with this model, and see absolutely no reason to update to the 2016 model.