Bench Test Confusion & Graphics Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ptjh, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ptjh macrumors regular

Graphics

MB Pro Is it worth £140 for 9600M GT with 512MB & 0.13 Ghz Processor (I've configured them to have the same, HD ect.) ? I've seen on the xbench & geekbench that the new MB Pro 2.5's and the 2.4's achieve a similar score so i guess the 0.13 processor improvement won't count for much.

It's primary use is for pro audio use (so i need firewire = no MB & I don't want a refurb even if the UK had any left) but it may get used for some photoshop and maybe video. I'm not a pro video editor or graphic designer & I don't game

What other benefits with the better graphics option give me?

Will it give me improved performance for an external monitor or better graphics for viewing/editing pictures and watching DVD's which I do alot?

Bench Tests

The bench tests are confusing me since the xbench shows the new MB pro 2.5 gets beaten by the old 2.6 in CPU test by a fair margin whilst the new 2.4 MB pro is relatively similar in performance despite them both being roughly 0.1 GHz either side on the new 2.5 MB Pro - any thoughts? I use plents of heavy softsynths and plugins so I'm wondering if the 2.8 will be a significant performance boost since the old 2.6 gives about 10% increase.

http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review
    (look around the middle of the page)

Thanks guys...this will be my first mac so I want to get it right - I won't upgrade for another couple of years.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The new processors aren't really much faster then the old ones if at all.

3. ptjh thread starter macrumors regular

It seems that way, the 2.6 seems to lead the way in raw cpu power according to the chart. So given that the new and old are relatively similar what coud I expect from a 2.8? 20 % improvement over the new 2.4/2.5 but maybe overly optimistic? That would make i worth it IMO