Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asaggynoodle

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
These headlines are idiotic. iPhone 6S has no file system and doesn't run OS X

I wouldn't trust Geekbench as far as I could load it on a USB stick and throw it off the Hoover Dam.
Maybe throw in some kind of C++ or Python benchmark that uses no Architecture specific Libraries then we'll talk.

Reactions: AleXXXa

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
MacBook cpu isn't great and especially its gpu is pathetic

Just look at http://barefeats.com/ipadpro1.html

The iphone6s is close to double the performance of the MacBook at Manhattan 1080p offscreen. That is just unbelievable.

Hope the skylake upgrade later this year or early next year can at least match the iPhone in graphics performance

Reactions: Ghost31

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
MacBook cpu isn't great and especially its gpu is pathetic

Just look at http://barefeats.com/ipadpro1.html

The iphone6s is close to double the performance of the MacBook at Manhattan 1080p offscreen. That is just unbelievable.

Hope the skylake upgrade later this year or early next year can at least match the iPhone in graphics performance

Just stop already.

Those who own the RMB are ecstatic about its performance. These test sites are as useless as automotive horsepower comparos. Like anyone can use 600 horsepower on local streets and school zones.

BJ

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Since when where there speed limits for CPUs and GPUs?

Speed limits? The point is that no one stresses a notebook to the point of needing all the supposed extra speed that a bigger processor brings. And those who do stress them, they have no business buying a RMB to begin with. It's not a Pro. The Pro is the notebook for those who code, game, assemble large movies, etc.

Over and over again, people come into this forum bashing the RMB for something it was never designed to do. It's like saying Tom Brady is a lousy punter.

BJ

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I was referring to your comment about using 600 horsepower on streets and school zones.

You don't need to be doing any heavy lifting to benefit from a faster CPU and GPU. Even something as common as surfing the internet can benefit.

asaggynoodle

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Okay, will someone post some kind of real world performance test that is cross platform.
Geekbench seems like it could be easily manipulated.

Regardless, I fail to see how a Core-M. Which is a Dual Core x86 CISC CPU. Which has Four Processing threads, and a turbo clock of 2Ghz is somehow beaten by a Phone SoC. Yet Intels new Atom is already benchmarked to outperform the fastest ARM SoC by 30%.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...line-crushes-fastest-snapdragon-arm-soc-by-30

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Okay, will someone post some kind of real world performance test that is cross platform.
Geekbench seems like it could be easily manipulated.

Regardless, I fail to see how a Core-M. Which is a Dual Core x86 CISC CPU. Which has Four Processing threads, and a turbo clock of 2Ghz is somehow beaten by a Phone SoC. Yet Intels new Atom is already benchmarked to outperform the fastest ARM SoC by 30%.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...line-crushes-fastest-snapdragon-arm-soc-by-30

Why are you bring up a 2+ year old article? Atom is a joke compared to the latest Arm processors especially from Apple. They were competitive for a few months in 2013 when their new chip came out and that's about it.. Hasn't improve much since then.

And the version of the benchmark they test has been discredited as it unfairly biased Intel

http://www.dvhardware.net/article58877.html

How can you dismiss geekbench and then blindly believe a benchmark a 2+ year old article which later on was determined was invalid?

Btw.. There are a large amount of benchmarks where the 6s has shown to be very close to core m is cpu performance.

Here is a thread where users have released run quite a few:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2449308

Gpu performance is another story. The apple a9 in the 6s is a lot faster than the MacBook.

asaggynoodle

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2015
Why are you bring up a 2+ year old article? Atom is a joke compared to the latest Arm processors especially from Apple. They were competitive for a few months in 2013 when their new chip came out and that's about it.. Hasn't improve much since then.

And the version of the benchmark they test has been discredited as it unfairly biased Intel

http://www.dvhardware.net/article58877.html

How can you dismiss geekbench and then blindly believe a benchmark a 2+ year old article which later on was determined was invalid?

Btw.. There are a large amount of benchmarks where the 6s has shown to be very close to core m is cpu performance.

Here is a thread where users have released run quite a few:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2449308

Gpu performance is another story. The apple a9 in the 6s is a lot faster than the MacBook.

PnBLvmJ.jpg

Iphone 6s w/ The official Google IO Octane test.

VS MY (AS IN I DID MYSELF) NOT SOME SITE.
1.1Ghz Core-M Macbook.

09ttT3T.png

I don't think a 46.39% performance delta would be considered faster than the Macbook.
This Benchmark is fully Open Source under GPLv3, and has explicitly stated;

"Many micro-benchmarks, such as Sunspider, were written at a time when JavaScript wasn't used as extensively as a cornerstone of large, rich web applications. Therefore they tend to not measure the performance of JavaScript Engines under the demanding JavaScript environment that a modern web application creates. We've tried very hard to avoid making Octane a micro-benchmark that only tests very specific JavaScript features out of context."

Reactions: emilioestevez

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I was referring to your comment about using 600 horsepower on streets and school zones.

You don't need to be doing any heavy lifting to benefit from a faster CPU and GPU. Even something as common as surfing the internet can benefit.

Stop.

Surfing the internet is no different in terms of speed unless you measure your life in milliseconds. You've really got to stop with the misinformation. Numbers don't tell the story; happy owners do. And there are plenty of us reporting in at this point, everyone is very happy.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Let me sum up this thread: Don't trust that benchmark, trust my benchmark.

No, I'll sum up this thread:

Every RMB owner I've ever met, either here or in person, absolutely loves their notebook yet every day there are people who come into our subforum to tell us how our machines suck because of some statistical benchmark that doesn't apply to our use case and we'd like it to stop.

BJ

tbirdparis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2015
If I may, so what if there's more and more crossover in performance ranges between iOS devices and computers these days? Mobile devices, mobile operating systems and mobile apps have been rapidly getting more powerful for some time - they run tasks which are absolutely comparable to what you do with an average, non-workstation computer. So it's completely normal that there'd be some crossover when you look at available processing power. If a thing is designed to do a certain range of tasks, then you build it with what it needs to efficiently get that done. These days this means that a notebook and a mobile device (like a phone) could end up having pretty similar capabilities in some areas, maybe a bit less in others.

I think it's a great thing that the push for more CPU power at extremely low power consumption in mobile has bled over into allowing for more interesting notebooks to be made. In many ways, that's what the rMB is: a machine that preserves the traditional benefits of the notebook form factor while bringing gains that have come from mobile to the party - no fan, extreme power efficiency allowing for a retina display to work while still preserving enough battery life in an extremely thin design. For me, that's the real story here - crossover and convergence leading to more interesting products, rather than seeing it as some kind of failure that computers aren't getting better.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
That's says something for the iPhone. Awesome device.

I'm not sure I see the point in this forum. Perhaps if I could replace My MB with one :D

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Stop.

Surfing the internet is no different in terms of speed unless you measure your life in milliseconds. You've really got to stop with the misinformation. Numbers don't tell the story; happy owners do. And there are plenty of us reporting in at this point, everyone is very happy.

BJ

You're trying to tell me that the experience surfing on something like an old G3 Mac would be the same as a modern Mac?

Who's misinformed here? Stop trying to fool yourself.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
No, I'll sum up this thread:

Every RMB owner I've ever met, either here or in person, absolutely loves their notebook yet every day there are people who come into our subforum to tell us how our machines suck because of some statistical benchmark that doesn't apply to our use case and we'd like it to stop.

BJ

I never said your machine sucks. You just seem to assume everyone thinks it sucks. Stop being so overly defensive in all your posts.

Benchmarks are benchmarks. They try to show the differences in performance between different machines. You can continue your denial and choose to ignore the numbers but the numbers don't lie.

Reactions: SSD-GUY and ixxx69

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
You're trying to tell me that the experience surfing on something like an old G3 Mac would be the same as a modern Mac?

Who's misinformed here? Stop trying to fool yourself.

I have no idea what that means as I have never had a G3 Mac, don't even know what you're referring to.

What I can tell you is that bench tests mean nothing to anyone except those trying to prove a point that no one believes in. You're trying to tell me that my 2015 Retina MacBook is slow and that's laughable. If you're looking to troll so hard, go visit the folks in the MacBook Air subforum. They're an easy target if you're into that.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I never said your machine sucks. You just seem to assume everyone thinks it sucks. Stop being so overly defensive in all your posts.

Benchmarks are benchmarks. They try to show the differences in performance between different machines. You can continue your denial and choose to ignore the numbers but the numbers don't lie.

I'm not saying the numbers lie. I'm saying the numbers don't matter. The typical executive doesn't stress any notebook to the limits. So numbers pushing the limits are immaterial.

Any decent 2015 notebook, especially one from a reputable maker, will browse the web quickly, will launch applications quickly, will provide all the performance necessary for high quality Powerpoint presentations, email checking, Skyping with the kids, Dropbox access for files, and an Excel spreadsheet. They're all extremely fast. They're all top performers. The millisecond difference between them doesn't matter to the busy executive on the go.

What matters? Weight matters. Size matters. Screen quality matters. Battery life matters. Getting through TSA screenings matters. Quiet matters. Fanless design matters. Retina display matters. Go benchmark that. Then you'll understand why your benchmarks don't matter- they're the wrong benchmarks.

BJ

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
launch applications quickly, will provide all the performance necessary for high quality Powerpoint presentations, email checking, Skyping with the kids, Dropbox access for files, and an Excel spreadsheet.

This brings us back to the original topic. A iPhone 6S can do all of this as well.

Plus, it's lighter and smaller. Battery life is great. TSA won't be giving you a problem because of it. iPhones are totally silent. No fan. Retina.

Benchmarks may not matter to YOU, but there are people who use their machines more that just the tasks YOU use it for and performance does matter. How can you expect that what meets YOUR needs will suffice for everyone? Benchmarks can help people determine which models of laptops can meet their needs. To flat out say that they don't matter is just ignorant.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
This brings us back to the original topic. A iPhone 6S can do all of this as well.

Plus, it's lighter and smaller. Battery life is great. TSA won't be giving you a problem because of it. iPhones are totally silent. No fan. Retina.

Benchmarks may not matter to YOU, but there are people who use their machines more that just the tasks YOU use it for and performance does matter. How can you expect that what meets YOUR needs will suffice for everyone? Benchmarks can help people determine which models of laptops can meet their needs. To flat out say that they don't matter is just ignorant.

If what you're saying is that the iPhone 6S is an amazing piece of machinery because it can replicate the fantastic specs of a best-in-class thin/light Apple notebook then we're in agreement. But methinks that's not your agenda here. You're here to get your jollies by insinuating that the RMB is underpowered. Yawn. Like you're not the 100th person to attempt that nonsense since May.

Benchmarks about processing horsepower are ridiculous since every RMB owner knows that going in. Apple never claimed that the RMB is its powerful workhorse notebook for data processors, gaming coders, or videographers. They claimed it is a next-gen notebook for the ultimate in portability with a full-sized keyboard. Anyone who bought an RMB knows this going in.

If you went into a BMW dealership looking for a vehicle to transport your family of 6 during the week and cut lumber on the weekends and came out driving a Z4 Roadster instead of an X5, that's on YOU, not BMW. So far, no dimwits have come into this forum saying "Gee, I am a movie producer and I require my notebook to assemble 50GB 4K multi-layered video files and the 12" Retina MacBook is really disappointing" because we're not ignorant, we know what we're buying at the time of purchase.

Again, and hopefully for the last time, your argument makes no sense because you're arguing the wrong point to the wrong people. You want to fight this 'performance' battle, go to the MacBook Pro subforum because that's Apple's performance notebook. Processing power matters over there. Horsepower benchmarks count over there. This forum is for Apple's 'premium portable' notebook, and so if you want to make an argument you need to make it about size, weight, form factor, screen clarity, or design. That's how you judge the RMB. You're talking to 2-seater sportscar owners about towing capacity. It's a waste of everyone's time.

BJ

Reactions: xPad and journeyy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.