Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
I was wondering if anyone knew any websites or downloads to benchmark my computer so I can compare it to a Dual PM that I will soon be purchasing. Its for a PC if that makes a differece. Thanks.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I was about to sugest XBench till I saw it was for a PC. Sorry I don't know of any benchmark software for the PC.
Now that being said, I don't know how much benchmarking a PC and benchmarking a new Powermac and comparing them will help you. The arcitecture of the computers are totally different so I don't even know if the overall benchmark score would tell you anything.
But here's the basics: With a windows machine you have several different companies manufacturing the guts of the machine, and then Microsoft designs the OS. On the Mac side Apple writes their software knowing EXACTLY what components it will need to work with and take advantage of. I'm an IT director and all we have at work is Windows machines. My mac at home runs about a hundred times smoother than these top of the line PC's and my machine is running a 450MHz processor. The machines at work are running Pentium 4's at around 2GHz. Now are these machines faster at Photoshop and Illistrator? Yes by far, but overall would I rather use them or my Mac for day to day things. My Mac hands down, no question.
So the question is, what do you want to be able to do with your Mac? If the answer is "I want to Game and nothing else" then in all honesty the PC is the better way to go. Now if the answer is " I want to surf the web, listen to music, edit digital video, do some basic work with photos, burn CD's and DVD's, or do serious video or Graphic design/Web Design work." Then the Mac will make your life alot easier. Belive me I know I have to fix the constant problems with Spyware, Viruses, and just wierd Windows issuer that come up on a Daily basis.
I don't know if this helps you at all, but it's just my opinion. :D

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
try cinebench, this is the only benchmark, which I think is comparable between the 2 oses, this tests graphics and processor(s) . btw what pc do u havecinebench

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
Norouzi said:
"I want to surf the web, listen to music, edit digital video, do some basic work with photos, burn CD's and DVD's, or do serious video or Graphic design/Web Design work."

you got it right. Since I only have a year left of college I want a professional machine for Graphic Design plus I want it to last awhile.

I really just want to see how behind my computer is. Compaq 750mhz, 576mb RAM yadda yadda yadda.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.