benchmarking MPs for compressor - any sites?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Keebler, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I'm looking to sell my G5 and buy another mac pro. Last one I had is from 2006 (great machine btw).

I transfer home videos etc.. and use Compressor and building DVDs in SP alot so i'm looking for speed gains. I know I'll get that over the G5 from any machine, but in trying to be economical, I can't decide between and older Octo-8 core or a newer Nehalem.

I've seen various benchmarking, but nothing specifically on using compressor.
    I'd like to know how much time I could save on an mpeg2 compression between them.

ie. on my 2006 quad 2.66, a 1 hour dv transfer output to mpeg2 might run 1 hr 15 mins or more.

thanks in advance for any help. from what i've seen so far, it looks like the nehalem quad outperforms the 8-core nehalem, which i find interesting, but i guess having more cores means i'll be able to do more at once?

Cheers,
    keebler

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That really depends on which Nehalem model you're comparing the 2008 8-core to.

1. Benchmarks seem to support that the 8-core Nehalems outperform their predecessors by 10-30% in Compressor, depending on clock speed. Bear in mind, however, the new 8-cores demand pretty significant price premiums.

2. If you're looking at a 4-core Nehalem model, a 2008 8-core will be faster in Compressor without a doubt. You can set up a QMaster cluster for Compressor to utilize all 8 cores. In this scenario, more cores win.

With this in mind, I will still assert that the 2008 models are great alternatives to the 2009 models if your budget is limited. For example, the 2008 8-core 2.8 can be had for about the same money (and possibly for less) as a 2009 4-core 2.66 and will be faster at virtually any rendering task that can take advantage of all the cores (Compressor, After Effects, etc.).

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks Captain! I'm leaning towards the 08 8-core, but budget is a concern right now so I'm going to start a 'new mac pro' account and tuck away part of each sale to buy a new one.

Cheers,
    Keebler