Benchmarking SSD Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leicaUser, Mar 8, 2010.

1. leicaUser macrumors newbie

Now that I have a new 256gb ssd in my mbp, I would like to benchmark it's speed. Any suggestions on how I would do this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. rumpus macrumors member

You bought one ? :) What did you get ? (Sorry I don't know a benchmarking utility but do please post the results when you're done).

3. Robb.Penoyer macrumors member

@leicaUser congrats on the upgrade.

The xbench tool is a pretty good "quick and dirty" benchmark for everything on your system. Depending on what you want to do with benchmarks, this might be enough. If you just want to monitor your drives performance over time, this should be fine.

http://www.xbench.com

Do us all a favor, run the xbench disk test and post the results here. It would help people looking to buy.

4. leicaUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. And yes, I purchased a 2.66 mbp yesterday with a stock 256gb drive. i realize that many of you would throw up on this drive, but frankly the timing of this purchase was far more important to me than the money, and even if the drive is inferior to others, so far i find it infinitely better than a hard drive. having said that, i prefer to be unblissfully informed rather than blisfully uninformed. i will run the test tonight when i get back home and post results.

5. leicaUser thread starter macrumors newbie

ps: the drive is made by toshiba. it came loaded with sl 10.6 (not 10.2), so it obviously was loaded last year, which tells me that this is not any kind of new toshiba drive.

6. rumpus macrumors member

Please post the benchmark results for us, it will be very useful. Thanks !

7. chopper dave macrumors regular

Run Xbench now, then check back with us every few months with the same test- try and fill up the drive with at least 200GB of data as well (just make a bunch of copies of a dvd image or something).

8. rerelease macrumors regular

OS X does not support TRIM. He'd probably see a performance loss soon after deleting those redundant copies.

It's bound to happen, but no need to haste things.

9. leicaUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok -- here are the results:

-Sequential:
    Uncached Write 136.62 83.88 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 115.50 65.35 MB/sec [256k blocks]
    Uncached Read 65.27 19.10
    Uncached Read 231.34 116.27

-Random
    Uncached Write 120.96 12.81
    Uncached Write 216.88 69.43
    Uncached Read 1238.67 6.78
    Uncached Read 549.10 101.89

Are these results any good?

Also, with respect to the inevitable slowdown, once the drive slows down on the writing, can't i just, back it up, do a low level erase, and then start over, good as new? Specifically, how about digiloyd's disk tester utility, has anyone tried it, sounds like it would work fine?

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-SSD-Reconditioning.html

thanks.

10. leicaUser thread starter macrumors newbie

So I ran the bench mark test 5 times and the average total score was 179. The numbers are posted were from the slowest of the 5 tests. In any case, it looks like the total score from an intel drives are more like 275. So how much of a difference is there between a 180 a 275 in actual use? I would imagine quite alot?