Benchmarks - 2016 MBA vs 2016 rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NoorOm, Jun 20, 2016.

1. NoorOm macrumors newbie

I could not find these stats anywhere. I am currently running a dying 2010 MBA. The keyboards stops working every so often.... Was really hoping for a refresh =T.

I need max speed with portability. What is faster?
    - 1.3 m7 rMB vs
    - 13" 2.2 i7 MBA w/ 512 storage

Thanks!

2. jmoore5196, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016

jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I have an 11" 2.2 i7 MBA with the 512GB storage. It's noticeably faster than the previous 1.3 rMB. I had one for two weeks and returned it. I go back and forth with the MBA ... the processor and lack of lag are, to me, worth the display tradeoffs. I would like to have a force-touch trackpad, but not badly enough to ditch the MBA.

The new m5 scores about 5800 on Geekbench; I'd imagine the m7 to score about 6500. My MBA Geekbenchs at just over 7000.

I know that's not specific; I've looked for the exact numbers as well and haven't found them.

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

2016 MBA doesn't exist yet, only the 2015 MBA is available which still uses a broadwell chip. That said the i7 in a 2015 MBA still beats an m7 in a 2016 rMB (but not by a huge margin)
    Geekbench Scores:
    2015 MBA with i7-5650u Single Core: 3352, Multi-Core: 7086
    2016 rMB with m7-6Y75 Single Core: 3079, Multi-Core: 6655

4. NoorOm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!! Very helpful... now if only you could tell me there was a new macbook or mba coming soon!

5. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

The MacBook just got update in April. The MacBook Air didn't get any updates other than the base RAM is now 8GB.

6. evec macrumors regular

If you not care about retina but want speed, get MBA.
    new macbook is very portability, but it only one ports for everything.
    This is the main problem.

Good is without fan and the speed is fast enough for most tasks.

The MBA, even the based i5, is much faster that the MB, the benchmark can't show everything,
    lagging is already happen for new macbook because of aggressive power saving for low TDP.

The MBA will definitely more smooth especially when using power supply.

7. dilutedq macrumors regular

The benchmarks that specifically show real world usage show that the rMB is faster than the i5. Exporting time, application usage. It just has plain better hardware and screen. Not surprising given that broadwell is old AF. the m7 rMB matches the base 13in macbook pro in real world benchmarks. Not these synth benchmarks with obscure scores.

The one port thing is an issue if you depend on those ports. I can't speak for everyone, or the OP. I don't use the ports on my 15 rMBP so it wouldn't bug me.

oh the camera is also **** on the macbook retina. That could bug someone as well. I actually don't know how it compares to the mba though off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to look right now.

8. NoorOm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your input. I like the portability of the MacBook as I am always on the move, but I feel the screen might be a touch too small? I've had an MBA forever...

- is there any chance of a larger MacBook soon?
    - is there any chance of an updated Mba soon so I don't have buyers remorse after the return period is over?
    - can I have a smaller rMBP that is more portable?

I think I'm asking for too much... =T

9. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

No, no and no.

But don't take my word for it!

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The rMB's screen can be set to the same resolution as the 13" MBA, and should be more legible because of the much sharper screen.

11. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

If you need specs to compare basic stuff, get mactracker from the app store. (free database of apple things.)