Benchmarks anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akadmon, Feb 26, 2008.

1. akadmon macrumors 68020

Does anyone know how the 2.4Ghz/3MB Penryn compares with 2.2Ghz/4MB Merom? How about the 2.4Ghz/3MB Penryn vs. the 2.5Ghz/6MB Penryn? I mean, unless the difference is >20% (at least for some tasks), I don't think paying a $500 premium for little bit more hd space and gobs of, for the most part unusable VRAM, makes sense.

Right now I'm leaning toward the base model, although, like many here, I'm still fuming that 2.5GHz/6MB is not the starting point for MBP.

2. harrison1000 macrumors newbie

So am I. I knew that it would be based on a option that I'd have to think about. I'm still looking before I buy though. still not convinced that its worth the extra money, however something that no-one appears to have mentioned is the definate performance boost the 7200 rpm drive makes

3. taibien86 macrumors member

can you explain the difference in the 2.4gHz and 2.5gHz processors?
    are both the 2.5gHz and the 2.6gHz 6MB?

4. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

Not sure I understand the question. I was referring to 2.5GHx and 2.5GHz Penryns. The first comes with 3MB L2 cache, the other with double that amount. Cache aside, the speed boost from the extra 0.1GHz is likely proportional to the ratio of clock speeds (4%), but the extra cache memory could potentially change that significantly under certain circumstance (don't ask me what they are).

Anyway, it's pretty much a moot point for me, as I already ordered the base MBP, BTO'ed with the faster hdd (i.e., once it ships I own it). Unless I see some evidence that the performance boost from the extra cache is significant before my MBP ships (at which point I may still change the order), I'm sorta stuck with what I have. But hey, it's not a bad spot be be stuck in, so I'm not complaining :)

5. UmichAg macrumors member

Clarification Needed on Cache

So, I guess what the original poster and myself are wondering is: How much does the L2 Cache size influence performance???

3MB vs. 6MB seems significant (double the amount)
    However, how does that translate into real world settings?

For example:
    -Will Powerpoint open large files (~5MB) in 5s compared to 10s?
    -Will it take Photoshop 25% less time to render a large picture?

Thanks for the clarification!

6. taibien86 macrumors member

this is what i meant by my question earlier...

7. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Anybody try to look at the Windows Experience Index?

Assuming several of you are running bootcamp - anybody know the difference between models? I've got the late 2006 model, and I get a 4.7 (limited by memory speed)