Benchmarks for 9400M/9600M GT vs. Intel 3000

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by accessoriesguy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

with the new macbook air out I am really thinking of getting one since the performance is not so bad now (core 2 duo is no reason to get something new)

I like its light weight and protability.

But I was wondering how does that Intel discrete GPU (intel 3000)

stack up against the 9400M and 9600M GT GPU's, so I can have an idea of the performance level.

2. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. creationtwenty2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In short, the HD3000 sucks. It's terrible.

I had an original 13" Pro the day they released it, I replaced my 15" (pre-Unibody) Pro with it and absolutely loved it. I can't remember the GPU it had but it was the integrated NVidia something-or-other.

I kept that until Jan this year, and bought a 15". I was kinda underwhelmed by the performance upgrade I was looking for so a couple weeks ago I went back to a 13 with the Intel HD3000. What a mistake.

Admittedly I run apps that the average user probably wouldn't, some 3D, motion graphics etc and while I didn't expect the 13 to blow minds running those, I at least wanted to run the odd test render on it when on the go.

It was awful though, really disappointing. I don't even think they should brand it 'Pro' because unless you're a Pro Web Surfer, there's nothing Pro about it.

Dont even get me started on the performance under Bootcamp. The Windows drivers for the 3000 are terrible and it's even worse than in OS X.

So, I made use of my 14 day grace period and took it back yesterday, and exchanged it for the top end 15" with the 7650 ATI card. Wow. The thing is a beast.

Sure it cost me a bunch more money, and I still miss the 13" form factor but this machine is definitely worth the extra if you can stretch to it. I bought Apple Care and feel comfortable that this will last me at least 3 years.

Seriously, if you do anything more than simple mail, web and video watching I would advise not going for the current 13. If you are on a tighter budget, I'd suggest finding a 1st gen 13, with the NVidia chip.

4. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks that was a lot of help! I remember seeing the difference between the macbook and macbook pro a while back was only like 2GB of RAM the look and the backlight keyboard for like $200 more. the 13in Macbook pro is not in any way anything special.

But that helped me out to get an idea. I hear the Intel 3000 is just slightly better than the 320m and i mean only slightly from a chart that i saw, so it is not even much of an improvement. I thought those second gen processors would pull their weight but i guess not. Thanks again!

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

In general, you would prefer dedicated graphics over integrated.

The HD 3000 isn't that bad. You will only find it truly awful if you dual-boot in Windows.

6. creationtwenty2 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah, I was maybe a little too harsh. Under OS X it's not too bad, similar to the 320 I guess.

But yeah, under any other OS, it's bad.

7. accessoriesguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

If the air had a discrete GPU as well so it could really have a decent upgrade, this laptop would have been revolutionary.

With intel stating that these slim laptops will be 40% of the market next year Apple will either have to update its Air line more often or lower the price if they want to be ahead.

That is of course my opinion. I guess apple is benefiting from having limited competition in that market.