Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Although it would be nice to own the newest and latest 13 inch I'm very happy with my late 2011 2,8 i7 - it was a refurbished so it was a steal and it does everything I need it to do well and doesn't complain. And when I upgrade its RAM it's going to be a rocket (in my world:).
So no new MBP for me. Maybe in 2 years I will give my 13 to my girlfriend and upgrade to what is out there at the time. Hopefully a 13 retina MBP:)

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
This temptation... Although my Early-2011 MBP has a "low score," I am not selling it and getting the Mid-2012 version. I think(!) it's not worth it... :confused:

I've got a 2011 MacBook Pro (see signature) and will be waiting till we see DDR4 which is slated for at least 2015 at its most realistic release date according to the wikipedia article ( link ) which will coincide with the launch of the Intel 'Skylake' CPU which will bring mainstream DDR4 support to the take. IMHO you're better off waiting for a leap in technology rather than relatively small incremental movements forward when it comes to upgrading ones hardware as to make the amount spent worth it based on the percentage of improvement over your existing computer.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
"New MBP should be 10% faster" vs. "New MBP is 10% faster". See the difference?

Sure, I see the difference. But my point is that all new Intel chips are generally faster than the older ones. These processor tests are already done (and to much more different application patterns) in PC world. There is no or little need to do those tests again on Mac.

Last edited:

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Still not compelled to upgrade for cpu and integrated graphics. 2009 Macbook pro 2.26 Core 2 Duo still going strong.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
hmmmmm... My Mac Pro does 21000 on GeekBench 2...
Apple doesn't realize a laptop will NEVER be able to keep up with a real Pro machine... This makes me even more disappointed that they don't seem to care about their fastest Mac...:mad:

From your sig, you have a $8000 + machine. The mac pro market is small these days because computing power has really exploded in capacity but shrunk in size. I owned a 2008 MacPro, a short time later I bought a ridiculous amount of ram for a good but ridiculous price to only realize after about 9 months of owning the machine that it was equally as powerful as some iMacs and Macbook Pro's. The excessive power didn't actually make a noticeable or satisfactory difference in my day tasks in graphic design and developing, it actually felt slow and disappointing at times for what I required a computer for. Not to mention the lack of energy efficiency in MacPros and they are loud and bulky as opposed to something like a iMac or macbook.

In short I sold the whole setup for $5000 via ebay which I somehow made money on and have been buying 13" laptops since. It works better for me as these laptops are now quite good for performing the tasks I want, they have leading technology which is more efficient than say 3 year old mac pros which are priced the same. Sure professionals will still want the best workstation grade setup's such as yourself, but obviously there are a lot more people such as myself who will just buy a laptop or iMac for $1000-2000 and that will be enough for 2 years or more. They don't care so much for the professional market as they made uncomprehending amounts of money from the consumer markets. Apples transition over the past few years is not about "moving to portable" or to iOS its strictly about making money.

Workstation vendors are always out there for those who want to spend tens of thousands on set ups for professional environments, unfortunately apple has made that market its lowest priority. Apple knows very well that people will still buy their professional computers, people such as yourself, and there are a many, who are waiting to spend high end for high performance. Apple is working harder, to convert your everyday user to mac and creating toys to expand revenue as they already have your money the day a new mac pro or matte screen is released.

Unfortunately, what we are seeing is that it is getting worse and this is best seen through the neglect of the macpro, redesigned mbpr and discontinuation of the 17" mbp. The 13" is a good entry level machine as it is affordable and offers many features that aren't seen in 95% of laptops such as digital/anolog sound output, firewire and thunderbolt in addition to what other competitors may have. And today the 13" MBP which is the cheapest it's ever been will run 95% of programs well enough besides high end virtualization, modeling and rendering apps but disregard windows only application because they weren't designed around OSX to begin with. Find me a laptop in the price range that has the features and performance of the new MBP.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Strongly considering the base 2012 MBP. Best Buy for $1099 + $150 BB giftcard.

Thinking of using the $150 BB giftcard towards a 240GB SSD. Or save the money, and recycle the 500GB 7200 rpm hard drive I have from my old mid-2010 Macbook, and use the $150 GC for AppleTV for when I upgrade in July to 10.8.

- Mike

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Not a significant gain over the Air (a consumer machine) - pretty disappointing actually.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Not a significant gain over the Air (a consumer machine) - pretty disappointing actually.

Check out my post early (#69) - they've got something wrong with their results as most results on the geekbench browser have the base 13 coming in at 7400, and the upgraded 13 even higher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.