Benchmarks for PB 12" vs. others

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthewHUB, Jan 28, 2008.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Dear All,

I'm trying to find benchmarks for a 1ghz PB G4 put up against all the current versions of the macbook, plus the macbook air.

Is there one figure that equates to overall fastness? i mean, can one ever say that 1 computer is twice as fast as another? Obviously in many benchmarks the macbooks will far outperform the G4. But i'm interested in just how much faster they are with the switch to intel.

i did a search but nothing really compares them all.... definitively.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

thanks. Great page. Do the scores directly correlate? i.e if one score is twice that of another machine, does it mean it is twice as fast? And what does twice as fast even mean? Most processes will be done in half the time???

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

geekbench measures cpu speed only but is a good indication of comparison nevertheless.

i have a mbp and a 12 pb and the 12 pb is slooooooow

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Depends on what you do and what you use. In most cases intel macs will be better.

Video encoding, photoshop, etc. Any intel mac will be faster.

If you only use PPC-only games / apps requiring graphics card, then PowerBook will run better (well 12" is not top of the line so don't expect top notch performance).

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

honestly, the macbook will be much faster for anything you'd use it for these days

there isn't a prime-time powerpc app left anymore that i know of...even if there were i would still recommend the macbook b\c powerpc is slooooooooooooow

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm not sure what you are doing on the PB 12, but the MacBook will be much faster on everything. If you haven't had a chance, take some time and go to an Apple store, or one of the Best Buy locations and play with a MacBook and see how it runs.

With Leopard especially, you will be surprised how much faster it runs than your PB. Launching applications will be faster, running the applications will be faster, etc.

All around they are just very fast machines...

8. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

The Macbook Air included. What i'm alluding to is the fact that compared to most of our aging powerbooks, the MBA is still light years faster, despite being the slowest machine apple ships currently.

9. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

wow... my 2 machines..

MacBook Pro (Mid 2007)
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.60 GHz score 3335

PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.33 GHz)
    PowerPC G4 @ 1.33 GHz score 715
    :eek:

but my pb12 is just for moving around quickly, internet, word processing etc...

suits me just fine for that purpose

would looooove to see a 12" mbp:p

10. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I'm still using a PowerBook 12" when I'm away from my MacPro (Quad 3Ghz). For simple things like web, email, iPhoto, etc it's fine, and it has been completely reliable over the years. I run Leopard with absolutely no problems, and the 12" form factor is pretty nice.

It weighs in at 4.6 lbs though, and the 12" screen is a bit small for spreadsheets. I was hoping for a 13" MBP, but that is looking highly unlikely. MacBook is probably the right machine, but I just don't like the plastic.

So if I can shed 1.6 lbs AND pick up an extra inch of screen space, the MBA seems like a possibility. Intel inside also means I can run iMovie 08, which means I can download HiDef video (AVCHD, so it's on an SD card) through usb. While I was initially put off by what is not in the MBA, I'm coming around to realizing that I never use the ethernet or optical drive in my PowerBook anyway so it's really no sacrifice at all.

I won't buy it before touching it though, so I'll be waiting for it to arrive in stores. I'll bring an SD card with some HD video on it and make sure it will load in a reasonable time frame.

As mentioned before, even as the slowest Mac at the moment, MBA will be much faster than my 12" PowerBook, thinner, lighter, and a bigger brighter display. Sounding pretty good to me!

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I converted a movie file using VirtualHub on my PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz and on a 2.16 Macbook and 2.2 Macbook Pro. The Macbooks are at least 5 times faster than the G5. And the G5 is a few times faster than the G4. Factor in you stock 4200 RPM drive in the 12" G4 and you'll see a tremendous increase in performance going to any Intel based mac.