Benchmarks for SSD in new 2.66 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lionheartednyhc, Apr 21, 2010.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Just added an SSD Boot drive, with the optibay. It seems like alot of people are interested in doing this lately, so I thought I would post some benchmarks. Quite impressive!

The whole process (minus cloning drives and transferring data) took about 15 minutes. I would say it was worth it!

Attached Files:

2. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Wow. Just wow. Nice choice I'm an OCZ fan as well - thanks for the post.

3. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Right? Its insane. My startup time is like 7 seconds. I love this drive.

Any idea how to check the firmware of the drive?

4. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Lion sorry for some reason I just saw this reply tonight. In case you have not done so yet check out OCZ's support site for updates, including firmware, here.

*Edit * I meant to add that the official OCZ SSD on OSX forums are very useful. The biggest knock on OCZ at the moment is over poor update support when using them for Macs. I know not so long ago if you wanted to flash one you had to do it in Windows, not sure if that is still the case but those forums will know.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

What hard drive is that? That's extremely slow for a modern day hard drive. Even my hard drive is ~2x faster then yours?

6. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

That's the stock 320GB hdd in the brand new MBP's. You know Apple, always providing the best parts! :D

-You on BARF?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Those benchmarks for your stock 320GB 5400RPM are HORRIBLE lol. But I'm glad your SSD is working great for me. I personally would go through an SSD wayyy too fast due to the heavy writing done by my VMs.

-Yeah I'm on BARF, same SN. Don't visit that much though.

8. Molokinhu macrumors newbie

Battery Life?

I am planning on doing the same thing with the exact same SSD. I want to buy the optical drive bay SSD/HDD from newmodeUS and the SSD from newegg, just waiting until next month to buy my MBP...

I am planning on using the SSD as the main drive and the HDD (for storage purposes) on the OBHD.
    How much battery life are you getting under 'normal usage' ?
    That is the most important factor for me since I am on the road a lot.

Thanks for your time!

9. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

The drive is great, super fast as shown above. My battery is around 7-8 normal usage (not the ten advertised, although I didn't think that was going to be realistic). I wish I had used the computer with the stock drive for a few days so I could gauge what effect the drive combo has on battery, but unfortunately I put it in within 20 minutes of receiving it.

The only problem with the drive, and possibly why my battery life might be a bit low, is that it is prevents the computer from going to sleep (some firmware issue or something). I.e. if I leave my computer on and go to work, only the monitor goes to sleep. The actually system never sleeps, unless I close the lid. This is a known issue with the drive.

The other thing, which kind of adds to this issue, is that since I have the SSD in the stock position (instead of in the optical drive bay) it also prevents the system from hybernating. This is a known issue with the dual drive setup. The boot drive needs to be in the stock location to hybernate.

10. Molokinhu macrumors newbie

8 Hrs ain't bad :p

Unfortunately OCZ SSD's Firmware updates are not so Mac friendly yet... Hopefully things will change in the future.
    8 Hours is pretty decent, specially on a 2.66Ghz processor. I am definitely doing the Switch.

Maybe in 2 years Apple will sell MBP w/ the option to have dual hard drives instead of the silly optical drive.

Thanks for your input!

11. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I was reading the reviews for the new computers after I posted that and the review units were getting about the same battery life as me, so it doen't look like there is really any adverse effects. I am definitely happy with my decision.

Only thing I will probably do differently in the future is put the SSD in the stock bay and get a 3rd party hard drive with a sudden motion sensor for the optical bay.