Benchmarks: mid tier late 13" MBP vs QC Mac Pro

Justinhub2003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Cincinnati Oh
So I noticed that the MacBook Pro 2.3ghz model benchmarks higher or around the same as the new Quad Core Mac Pro.

My MacBook Pro gets around 13418 whereas the new Quad Core Mac Pro is getting around 13333 in Geekbench 64 bit multi core score.

What are the performance advantages of the Mac Pro if the synthetic benchmarks are around the same?

Just thought it was interesting to see how quick Mobile CPU's have caught up to Desktop CPU's.

So is the benchmark score a bad indication of CPU performance between MBP and MP or is the MBP really that close to the entry level Mac Pro in CPU performance?

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
So I noticed that the MacBook Pro 2.3ghz model benchmarks higher or around the same as the new Quad Core Mac Pro.

My MacBook Pro gets around 13418 whereas the new Quad Core Mac Pro is getting around 13333 in Geekbench 64 bit multi core score.

What are the performance advantages of the Mac Pro if the synthetic benchmarks are around the same?

Just thought it was interesting to see how quick Mobile CPU's have caught up to Desktop CPU's.

So is the benchmark score a bad indication of CPU performance between MBP and MP or is the MBP really that close to the entry level Mac Pro in CPU performance?
The dual GPUs, however, will *far* outstrip the GPU performance of the Macbook Pro.

Provided software can take advantage of those dual GPUs, the Mac Pro is significantly faster than any MBP.

Justinhub2003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Cincinnati Oh
The dual GPUs, however, will *far* outstrip the GPU performance of the Macbook Pro.

Provided software can take advantage of those dual GPUs, the Mac Pro is significantly faster than any MBP.
Sure I understand that.

but from a CPU standpoint only, it seems rather close

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.