Benchmarks show new MBA have better CoD4 framerate than 13" MBP. Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mxulive, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mxulive macrumors newbie

Some of you have probably seen the article by Macworld where they do a formal benchmark of the new MBA against the current MBP lineup. The 13" 1.86 GHz MBA managed a CoD4 framerate of 40 fps, while the 13" MBP only managed 33 fps... a difference of 20%!

I was wondering what the cause of this is given that both machines have an identical GPU and the MBP has a faster processor. Can the SSD actually increase gaming performance?

More importantly, do you guys think this performance difference will transfer over to other games? Will the 1.86 GHz MBA perform 20% better than the 13" MBP for SC2?

Link to Macworld article: http://www.macworld.com/article/154596/2010/10/macbookair_benchmarks.html?lsrc=rss_main

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The mechanical hard drive is always the limiting bottleneck in any computer. SSDs remove that to some extent and allow the CPU/GPU to work to their full potential.

4. ZeroXX7 macrumors newbie

Its all down to the SSD buddy, i recommend putting an SSD in any notebook, makes a huge difference.

5. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

SSD has made my macpro a way faster that i even don't have imagined :D:D

6. mark28 macrumors 68000

It could be that they used benchmarks from the MBP 13" last year which has outdated drivers.

SSD won't improve FPS which is a CPU & GPU operation.