Bendable tablet holographic screen vs current Ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Dec 6, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

See here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57336766-1/samsung-unfurls-flexible-see-through-tablet-concept/

Will Ipad go in this direction? For me this is a very cool idea would work well for menus, timetables, magazines not sure it can replace a proper tablet though. It would be hard to make a proper design out of such a thin device.

I hope down the line we do still have thicker tablets for home use but for mobile use this idea is very good. I can't imagine taking a picture on a bendable tablet would be a bit strange seemingly phones could also go this way too.

So is it the future? Do you like them?

2. Carouser macrumors 65816

I don't get the point of this. What's the advantage of a bendable display?

A better solution is to have a good projector inside of the mobile device. You can either use the device directly, or project the content and use the device as a Magic Trackpad. That way you're able to carry a 'screen' which is bigger than the device itself.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That video shows a concept. As cool as it looks, it doesn't exist. It was created by special effects.

While the display itself is becoming a reality now, that concept doesn't show what is actually producing the video being output on that flexible display. Where's the processor, RAM, and GPU? Not to mention the battery. Are they transparent and flexible as well?

Soon I'm sure we'll start seeing some flexible displays on a few products like cell phones, but it will primarily be a novelty and not very practical at this point. Products like the one in that concept video are still a ways off.

I wouldn't look for a Flex-iPad anytime soon.

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well first off holographic display so things would appear more 3D and would be great for presentations. This kind of holographic display is the next step from HD and 3D in the broadcasting tv industry.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Even though some of the concepts are far fetched or impractical, I absolutely love the well produced visions of the future. It's just cool. Seeing something shown off as a tech demo or even in a movie (like minority report) and then a few years later seeing glimpses of how it might actually happen in a fairly short amount of time.

I've been watching some Star Trek:TNG lately on netflix and it's always amazing to see them use tablets the way we do today or request commands from the computer in the same way we talk to Siri.

BTW, Here's the Microsoft one from last month.
    Microsoft: Future
    I really feel this era of secrecy is ending and I would love for Apple to stop being secretive and start making cool videos of their ideas because they have to have some interesting concepts being imagined out there.

6. Carouser macrumors 65816

From my experience, 3D adds nothing to presentations. It's a gimmick in that scenario.

If 3D becomes a popular way of consuming video then I'm sure Apple could implement it - but this is not a novel insight, it's more like a given.

And watching the video, I don't see anything conceptually different from an iPad - a tablet which does augmented reality doesn't need a clear screen, it just needs a decent camera.

I fail to see how the thickness of this device is significant, and I don't see why it's particularly useful for menus and timetables over anything the iPad 2 can currently do.

Darth.Titan is right - it's a silly concept video that's not particularly original.

EDIT: Nobody actually interacts with technology like the people in the video. If you want to know what the experience of these technologies is like in the real world, look at some people texting on the bus, not some nerd fantasy.

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Like them?

Based on what?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3D is the future (hint: not)
    http://theoatmeal.com/blog/3d_movies

9. cube macrumors G5

Nokia showed a bendable phone prototype this year. Bending is another control mechanism.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It's a neat concept, but for it to work we would also need flexible/transparent circuit boards and batteries.

A projector needs a surface to project on. Flexible displays let you have a device with a big screen that can be used anywhere, yet can still be rolled up to fit in your pocket. Also a flexible display would be practically shatter-proof.

11. Carouser macrumors 65816

So? It's better than running around with a scroll that's still limited by one dimension. Keep reading.

Make a paper copy of your computer monitor. Roll it up and carry it around in your pocket (if it will even fit). See if there's even the slightest benefit to reducing just one dimension.

The thing will be a long tube, making it way more awkward than the smaller screen of a regular mobile device.

If you're going to imagine some origami screen that can fold up, why not just imagine a nano-fog that turns into a screen on-demand instead, it's about as likely.

And I have no idea why a flexible display would be practically shatter-proof or why this is any significant benefit. There's all kinds of synthetics which are thin and flexible and still crack, crease, tear, and so on.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Have you seriously never rolled up a magazine or newspaper and stuffed it in your pocket? It would be essentially the same idea. Except it wouldn't be nearly as bulky as those.

Okay, put it this way: when compared to a modern rigid display, a flexible one is significantly less likely to fail on impact with a hard surface. In fact this is a major reason flexible displays are being developed. Even in a rigid form factor it could lead to substantially more durable electronics.

13. Carouser macrumors 65816

Yes, I've done this, and I've said "What a pain, if only I could scroll through my news on a pocket-sized screen instead". Fortunately, that's a solved problem.

Fair enough - but maybe they should have touted that in the video, then, instead of the goofy gimmicky stuff we're supposed to be impressed with.

14. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

There's a difference between 3D and Holographic technology. They are both different technology.

----------

If Apple came up with that video everybody here would be like "wow".

15. Carouser macrumors 65816

In terms of whether they would be useless goofy additions, especially as demonstrated in the video, it's a distinction without a difference.

- Giant non-sequitur, strawman
    - I gave you a reasoned opinion on the video, not survey results on what 'everybody here' would do
    - Apple doesn't come up with concept videos, and for good reason
    - Apple's videos are silly too, since they are an idealized version of how people use tech