Bending

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayson A, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Jayson A macrumors 68000

So what ever happened to the #bendgate thing? I've had my iPhone 6 for 6 months and it's still straight as an arrow. Were all these people really trying to bend the iPhone instead of just using it as intended?

I used to be so scared to put my iPhone 6 in my pocket in fear that it would bend, but lately, I just do whatever and it's still not bent.

I gotta say, I'm not as careful with my iPhone anymore since the bendgate thing died down.

Maybe they don't bend. Perhaps they were all lies.

2. MNR macrumors regular

I believed that the bendgate just concerned the 6 plus ...

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I was in apple Monday next to someone getting a 6 replaced.

4. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

The Bending issue was and still is very real. But at the same time, I definetly felt people blew it way outta proportions, especially since it pertains to Apple. Let's be honest, had this been LG or HTC...nobody would've given a damn. With that being said, the 6S/6S+ being a tad bit more bulkier would not be the worst thing

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

A thin, oversized slab of hollow aluminium and especially one with weak points around the cut-outs for the buttons...is going to be rather open to being bent if you're not more careful than you ordinarily might be. This is kinda indisputable.

I have a 6+ and it isn't bent, but I figured that I'm the last person this might happen to because I use a case and my phone is always carried in a jacket inside pocket. If my phone ever bends then there is zero hope for the design.

6. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I think, some of these really snug cases are causing the slight bend at volume keys. This is just my opinion ... But some of my cases I really have to tug to remove them. I'm careful removing them, but they are so tight, I could see myself bending the phone.
    I would see it as my fault, as anything thin has the potential of bending. So I do my best, if I bend it, I'll either replace it or live with it.

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

IF one bent their 6 or 6+ it was through their own negligence...... IF used properly your 6 or 6+ wont bend.

8. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Apple will make the 6S/6S Plus not bend as easily, just like they quietly fixed the antenna gate issue which, according to them never existed.

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

Conspiracy theorists unite.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The issue is still there, as its thin aluminium design, so if a user puts lots of pressure on it, it can bend. Users who are aware of this and take some caution will be fine. The iPhone 5 also suffered from it, users complained it bent after sitting on thier phones

11. XRichard23 macrumors regular

I had a 6 that's I ended up trading an acquaintance for his 6 plus so I don't know if he ever bent the phone, as it was perfectly straight when I got it. But I one day noticed a small gap between the aluminum and the glass along the top of the phone. It took me a couple days to realize it was slightly bent. Anyway I ended up getting a really good bumper that I drop tested over three dozen times (I have AppleCare) and eventually the touchid stopped working. Went to apple store right before closing and they just swapped a brand new phone. Haven't bent this one and I doubt I ever will.

12. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

My wife has a 6 and it developed a slight curve over about a month. We took it to the nearest Apple Store 300km from here and they proposed to replace it for a fee of 285€. No deal!

We then spoke to Applecare and they requested photos. Gave immediate approval for a free replacement so we headed back to the same store (another 600km round trip) She now has a replacement and our faith in Apple is restored.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I doubt Apple will do anything to the 6S. It will still bend with enough force. Maybe the iPhone 7 if they make it thicker!

14. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

It got out of the media as the new phone buzz wore off.

I have had my 6+ for 2 months now and it is perfectly straight.

15. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Apple only reported 9 phones bent.
    People also tried to make an issue out of their hair being pulled out by using the phone: (#hairgate)
    There were other attempted #gate episodes too, but none got any traction as much as the "bending" since it was easy to bend your own phone and claim it was a defect.

16. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I'm currently still using a 5s, but when it comes time to replace it, if all the Iphones are as thin as the 6 or 6plus, the first thing I will be buying is a rigid/thicker case for it. JMHO.

17. iosxuser macrumors newbie

i'm getting my iphone 6 this week... i sure hope it doesn't bend... i don't want to buy applecare for a phone that will cost me 200$

i'll be careful.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Nine lol. Apple never really admit to much at all and I can assure you that there are more than 9 bent i6 phones out there in the wild, let alone the 6+.