benefit of landscape home screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McDLT, Sep 18, 2014.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

This feature gets mentioned in every review of the 6+. Is it something people care about? I don't understand what difference it makes to anyone.

2. Deguello macrumors 6502

It means I don't have to look at icons sidewise when I am holding my phone in landscape.

Do you understand why it makes a difference to people who have an iPad? Same reasons.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's not a make or break kind of thing, but it's something I would use pretty often and always wondered why it wasn't there. Awkward selecting apps when they are rotated 90 degrees. A lot of people use their iPhones in landscape a good percentage of the time. I find it good for many games, Netflix or Amazon video, etc. Hopefully this is coming to iPad as well, where landscape is probably the dominant orientation.

4. Fynd macrumors 6502

It's already on the iPad. The dock moves to maintain its position along the bottom, though.

5. munkydust macrumors member

Not sure why this couldn't be implemented on the 6 though as well.

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I think it makes sense (and I agree that it should really have been implemented in the iPhone 6 too) - if you're using the phone in landscape orientation, it is annoying to have to switch the phone to portrait mode if you need to switch to another app temporarily (eg, send a quick SMS)

7. mojito macrumors member

Yeah I'm happy to have this change instead of the nuisance of switching back and forth. Although I agree it should just be implemented with the iOS and work on the 6 as well, it's at least a step in the direction of getting it to be more universal.

8. kovey macrumors 6502a

9. davefromca macrumors 6502

10. darkredcaffeine macrumors member

Probably because there wouldn't be enough room for the app names below the icons (if you look at the screenshots of the 6 in normal portrait mode, there's less room horizontally between the icons compared to the 6+)

They probably could've squeezed it in, but that's not Apple's style