Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Hi guys,

I have a question some of you may find silly but just wanted thoughts. I own a few pairs of Bose headphones. These include the Soundsport Wireless and Around Ear Wireless headphones as well.

When I use either of these, I press power and they automatically connect to my iPhone (or iPad as you can pair a number of items). Then I hear a voice telling me it's connected to my iPhone. The process appears instant when I put on my headphones. Obviously this was not the case the first time I ever paired them (say a year ago or 10 months ago) but since that one time that's how it pairs.

Given how my headphones work, what is the benefit of the W1 chip? I've read about it but don't see the main difference. Is the only difference the first time you use it?

What I'm asking really is, what would be the difference between a soundsport wireless (non w1) and beats x (with w1) in our everyday life?

Am genuinely interested to know.

Thanks!

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I have a question some of you may find silly but just wanted thoughts. I own a few pairs of Bose headphones. These include the Soundsport Wireless and Around Ear Wireless headphones as well.

When I use either of these, I press power and they automatically connect to my iPhone (or iPad as you can pair a number of items). Then I hear a voice telling me it's connected to my iPhone. The process appears instant when I put on my headphones. Obviously this was not the case the first time I ever paired them (say a year ago or 10 months ago) but since that one time that's how it pairs.

Given how my headphones work, what is the benefit of the W1 chip? I've read about it but don't see the main difference. Is the only difference the first time you use it?

What I'm asking really is, what would be the difference between a soundsport wireless (non w1) and beats x (with w1) in our everyday life?

Am genuinely interested to know.

Thanks!

For the most part the W1 chip does a couple of things.

(1) Better Battery Life - for the device. Beats Solo 2 was 12 hours of battery life and with the W1 Beats Solo 3 exploded to 40 hours of battery life.
(2) Better Bluetooth Connectivity - W1 seems to have better connectivity (Less cutouts) and better range.
(3) iCloud Sync - This is important if your an all apple household. W1 allows the device to pair across iCloud devices. (iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch) and then you can just select which device you want the headphones to use. It pairs single to each device where your Bose can connect to 2 separate devices W1 will only connect to 1 but if you need to connect to more devices you would have to re-pair with the Bose. While the W1 you would just select the Beats in the control center or mac bluetooth.
(4) Quick Pairing - This is the one-time deal, and really is convenient but after that doesn't do much else.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
For the most part the W1 chip does a couple of things.

(1) Better Battery Life - for the device. Beats Solo 2 was 12 hours of battery life and with the W1 Beats Solo 3 exploded to 40 hours of battery life.
(2) Better Bluetooth Connectivity - W1 seems to have better connectivity (Less cutouts) and better range.
(3) iCloud Sync - This is important if your an all apple household. W1 allows the device to pair across iCloud devices. (iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch) and then you can just select which device you want the headphones to use. It pairs single to each device where your Bose can connect to 2 separate devices W1 will only connect to 1 but if you need to connect to more devices you would have to re-pair with the Bose. While the W1 you would just select the Beats in the control center or mac bluetooth.
(4) Quick Pairing - This is the one-time deal, and really is convenient but after that doesn't do much else.

Hi there thank you so much. That is very informative. I think for my purposes, those advantages won't make life THAT much better for me but they are good features. I use two devices for music and pairing seems easy to me. The battery is the bigger issue. But thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.