Benefits of 4.2 on iPod Touch Second Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Boots-, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Boots- macrumors regular

I'm just wondering what benefits of 4.2 does the Second Gen iPod Touch get? I mean there was suppose to be airplay and airprinting, but apparently thats only for ios devices that support multitasking. So what new features and etc. does the second gen ipod touch get?

2. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

3. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Not really anything thats worth upgrading for especially if you have your ipod jailbroken

4. folle666 macrumors newbie

I have to say that I've just installed iOS 4.2 GM on my iPod touch 2G (8GB model) and it feels smoother. Animations aren't choppy anymore. Slide to unlock doesn't chop when showing the keypad. Apps don't stutter when displaying their views for the first time. It, to me, feels like the way it did with 3.1.3. Just smoother. iOS 4.1 animation is just slow on my iPod touch 2G. I think Apple has worked out some of the kinks for 2nd generation models.

5. Aeroplane macrumors member

this thread interests me very much I hope people start pouring in their experiences with 4.2 on 2nd gen ipods.
    Im still using 3.1.3 and was very reluctant to upgrade but maybe if 4.2 works fine I'll finally do it.

Another thing: anyone know what should I do to go back to 3.1.3 if the 4.2 upgrade doesn't work for me???

6. Kevenly macrumors regular

Kevenly

I hope they fix the WiFi instability and constant disconnect/reconnects that started with iOS 4.0 (yes I tried everything you can imagine dozens of times over). I'm looking forward to the performance boost. My iPT was completely useless after 4.0 and before 4.1 came out. 4.1 improved the situation a lot but not enough. If it improved performance (as is reported), fixed the WiFi that myself and purportedly many others have been dealing with, and optimized memory usage I'd be thrilled. My computer only runs 10.4.11 though so I hope it doesn't require iTunes 10 to upgrade.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm afraid there's nothing you can do at this point. Apple issues a certificate for each firmware version, which is tied to your device's UDID. In order to downgrade, you need the certificate for that particular firmware for your specific device. The information in the certificate are often referred to as SHSH blobs, and they can be saved using a free downloadable program called TinyUmbrella. You don't need to jailbreak a device in order to save SHSH. However, you can only do this while Apple is signing certificates for a firmware version, and they only sign the most recent versions. So currently, the only SHSH you can save is for 4.1. Once 4.2 is released, Apple will stop signing 4.1, and you will only be able to save SHSH for 4.2, and so on. Since you don't have SHSH saved for 3.1.3, once you upgrade to a more recent firmware, there is no way for you to downgrade.

8. Boots- thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

We don't get airplay, AirPrint or searching for a word on a webpage so far as my knowledge, is there anything new we do get?

9. appledude555 macrumors newbie

I noticed the Safari webpage search feature missing too. I thought I was the only one. I feel a bit relieved now knowing I'm not the only one left out with this feature. I was really looking forward to it too. Every little feature helps us ;)