Benefits of Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Montoya, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Montoya macrumors newbie

Hi guys, new to the site and iphone so please be gentle :)

I have a iphone i bought from my mate a and he reset it to factory settings before passing it on, said he had never jailbroke it before.

I wasnt sure what jailbreaking was but found out you could unlock the phone via this and add background display and the battery % thing. Which i thought was pretty cool.

So i jailbroke it, unlocked it and put the background image on, looks ace!

However, from a full charge (with 3g, wifi and bluetooth off) the battery died in about an hour! So i tried finding why and saw a few suggestions but alas this did nothing. Ive since reset my phone.

I would like to put my own sms tones on my phone as the current ones are just too quiet and i barely hear them, but the only way is jailbreaking.... Sort it out Apple!!!

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Might I ask what iPhone are you using? Although jailbreaking doesn't necessary drain your battery, the additional programs and hacks for certain features do. If you're up and running OS 4 or higher, you do not need to jailbreak for the background or battery percentage.

3. Montoya thread starter macrumors newbie

Whooops, the most vital bit of info and i forgot to put it on my post! lol

I have a 8GB 3G iphone

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Pre iOS4, The only reason I jail broke my phone was for themes and wallpapers. iOS4 got us wallpapers (along with custom lock screen) and folders, so that took a couple reasons away for jail breaking. I jail broke my 4.2.1 for things like themes and iBlank. You can also get custom widgets for the lock screen, but I'm not interested in anything that will put more strain on my battery. I've already noticed the device (new 3GS) is a tad more sluggish since the jail break, so I may roll back.

I'd say with an older 3G, you need to be careful about killing performance all together.

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

While jailbreaking can bring excellent new features and customizability, it can also bring problems, like poorly coded 3rd party apps, I installed so much crap when I jailbroke mine that is slowly stopped working. And I had to restore it, bare in mind that restoring it doesnt get rid of all the jailbroken code.

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Let me fix this for you

While jailbreaking can bring excellent new features and customizability (is that a word?), user error can also bring problems, like installing 3rd party apps that may be outdated or unsupported without first doing research on whether or not they work. Bear in mind that doing a DFU restore and erasing all data/content/settings will do a great job of getting rid of all jailbroken code.

7. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

This!

It is very important to know that with an official restore your phones technically stock apple and apple should have no problem replacing!

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

op start with the stickies up top tell you all about Jailbreaking. also not sure I do it on a 3g at this point.. wouldn't be without it on my I4 though. :D