Benefits of Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lunchb0x8, May 14, 2010.

1. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I am new here (sort of) and am wondering what benefits I can find from Jailbreaking.

I have googled, I have tried other forums, and not found any decent info.

Being an IT admin in a windows-centric Network, I want to know what I can do with a jailbroken iPhone that I can't do with my standard one.

I currently use VPN and iTap RDP to RDP to servers from off-site locations.

What do you do with your JB iPhone that might benefit me or other IT admins who are curious to try it, but don't know what to do?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Short answer - every modification mentioned in every thread here ! :D

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Seriously.

4. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

as ferris bueller might say, the question isn't what can we do, the question is what can't we do ;)

5. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, now that we have the standard responses out of the way, can someone actually tell me how it benefits them? I wanted some answers that won't require me to trawl through months of threads.

What specific features of the jailbreak benefit you? What apps and functions do you use that you couldn't before?

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

jailbreaking for me means i can have all my e-mail,facebook text messages, missed calls and any phone notifications displayed on the lockscreen, i can control my iphone through my mac using VNC, i can theme it, and my favourite thing is probably that i can reply to text messages without having to close whatever i'm doing already. that's a couple of the things you could do with yours, but like they've already said there's pretty much nothing you can't do so long as you've got the patience to lock for it :)

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

In question is whether the OP does have the patience to look for modifications (based on previous posts).

@OP - How do you think all of us learned all the modifications, we all just started reading.

8. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I understand, I can read through hundreds of threads to find a couple of worthwhile things.

I just thought some of you might be able to tell me what you yourselves have done that might benefit me...

Also, given I gave up so early last time I tried it, can someone tell me how to get third-party apps onto my phone once I have done the Spirit JB and rebooted?

Sorry to sound so nooby, but I have searched for that, but didn't have much luck, so if someone can point me to a good guide/thread, I would appreciate it.

Just to clarify though, my question wasn't can I just read through lots of threads and find a few ideas, it was if you could all let me know what you do with a JB'd iPhone that might benefit me as an IT admin.

So everyone telling me to read the forums, cool story, but I want some people to just tell me, even a couple of apps you each use, if the JB shortened your battery life and if the performance is actually improved or if it just adds a few bonuses that OS4 might be able to do for me.

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Jailbreaking for me just overall boosts the productivity and usability of the phone. Like some other people have mentioned, I can see ally notification information at a glance from the lock screen, reply to text messages within any app, multitask between multiple apps, blacklist phone numbers, tether to a computer, theme the phone, and just overall have more control over it. Jailbreaking allows all the things that apple has either left out of the iPhone OS or doesn't allow for whatever reason.

The main benefit of jailbreaking for me is to add features that it lacks right now, but it also brings along some fun customizations that's are really more for aestethic purposes than useful.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The main reason is to unleash your iPhone's potential as a portable computer.

For me the main reasons are:
    -fast changing basic settings on/off: bluetooth, wi-fi, airplane mode, location services, screen brightness, processes
    - allow apps to run in background mode
    - emulate old Mac OS via MinivMac
    - emulate some video games
    - connect wirelessly from your computer to your iPhone and drag and drop files between them

Also you can use the UNIX terminal interface, etc...

See here for more info:
    http://www.hackthatphone.com/3x/read_me_first.html

11. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, sorry to frustrate you all by saying this.

But, I jailbroke, installed winterboard, SBSettings and LockInfo

I found none of them to be what I wanted or needed, my iPhone does enough for me standard.

That, and I feel dirty using these free / third-party apps.

Flame away guys, I understand this thread must have annoyed you, especially with the end result, but I just don't see any use in JB'ing at this point.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

wow

I would say if you don't see the benefits of Jailbreaking then don't bother! Jailbreaking is not for everybody. ;) to me it's more about having a freedom of choice. seriously there are tons tons tons of info on jailbreaking benefits etc etc etc. I can't believe a IT admin is having trouble finding info youtube has tons tons of info along with here!

13. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I use iTap RDP and iTap VNC along with the built-in VPN.

I can manage 99% of what I need with that, and the remaining 1% is using a shortcut to spiceworks within the VPN.

14. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You should probably just restore your phone to stock. Half the fun of jailbreaking is learning as you go...that's what most of us have done that really enjoy our jb phones ;)

15. Lunchb0x8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, restored it, I think I will only really need folders and multitasking, which OS4 seems to integrate well enough.

The switching for 3G, bluetooth and WiFi, I don't mind managing WiFi the normal way, and I never use bluetooth. As far as 3G goes, I am never in non 3G areas, unless planned, in which case, I tend to disable it before I get there.

Themes, meh, doesn't appeal to me that much, and the lockscreen info app, it looked ok, but I like having a clean slate to look at and managing SMS and email separately by going into them.