Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
i have an x and mini iPad. What space could the watch fill? Never owned one nd am now looking into it. What can I actually do with it beside tell time of course.

Thanks

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Some of the most popular uses are:
-Fitness tracking (active calories, workouts, heart rate etc.)
-Glanceable notifications (discreetly/quickly glance to see who is calling, texting or emailing)
-Music during a run or workout without bringing your phone with you
-Apple Pay without having to take your phone out
-Other info besides time at a glance such as next meeting or weather

It all depends on your lifestyle and use case - some people love it and others have no use for it. If you think you might enjoy it give it a try.

Reactions: mcarthon

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
The most obvious uses are notifications, fitness tracking, and Apple Pay. I also like to get alerts from my calendar, I use Siri to text, get updates on ballgames, and the LTE version has been awesome in situations that I don’t have my phone on me. It’s a good companion device if nothing else, but you’ll find your own use for it.

A1000

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
UK
For me the most useful things tend to be:
- fitness tracking
- Apple Pay
- airline boarding passes
- realtime directions - especially when you son't want to have your phone out

and of course telling the time ;-)

Reactions: praterkeith

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i have an x and mini iPad. What space could the watch fill? Never owned one nd am now looking into it. What can I actually do with it beside tell time of course.

Thanks

The Apple Watch also serves as an in between your iPhone. It allows you to access your notifications, emails, fitness data, third-party applications all via the Apple Watch. You can also control functions like the camera, your music, and view photo's. It's simply meant as a convenience factor in a health tracker. In order appreciate it, you have to Experience it.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Countdown timer. Never miss meetings at work. Very useful in the kitchen and around the house. Use it to start races too.

Reactions: AppleKarma

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Make sure you use the correct terminology in case there is some foreign country knock-offs called the iWatch.
The correct name for the Apple product is called "Apple Watch" and not "iWatch". Very common mistake and please don't take this wrong. Just trying to clarify.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I was out of town last week and had to rent a car and drive to areas I didn’t know. The vibrations when it was time to turn was great and helped me pay attention to the road more.

LTE has been a huge plus for me and HR tracking and Bluetooth music without my phone.

Love that I can go for a run without carrying anything or even bringing my phone. Hands free listening to music and not being out of touch is the best.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
For me, I am notorious in my family for not knowing when I get a text. AW solved this. But I took to the fitness app. And, since it's right there, I use the timer all the time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was out of town last week and had to rent a car and drive to areas I didn’t know. The vibrations when it was time to turn was great and helped me pay attention to the road more..

That's interesting that you use this feature for the Apple Watch. I remember when the Apple Watch first launched back in 2015, they demoed this during the September 2014 Keynote with how a bicyclist could use the vibrations from the Apple Watch to know when to turn without looking at it. Something I feel that a lot of Apple Watch owners likely never use.

Reactions: AppleKarma

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I was out of town last week and had to rent a car and drive to areas I didn’t know. The vibrations when it was time to turn was great and helped me pay attention to the road more.

LTE has been a huge plus for me and HR tracking and Bluetooth music without my phone.

Love that I can go for a run without carrying anything or even bringing my phone. Hands free listening to music and not being out of touch is the best.
I love that feature. Not only do you get the vibration telling you it's time to turn, but since my hands are on the steering wheel anyway, I just glance at my wrist and it verifies with a big blue arrow which way I am to turn! So AWESOME!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.