Benefits of upgrading to new the iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yoak, Aug 9, 2008.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hi
    I have the first 24" iMac and I'm thinking of selling it and getting the new one. Since I buy them with my company I get the vat or sales tax back (25%) in Norway. This way it will probably cost me $200 to upgrade.
    The only heavy app I use is final cut studio. Mainly I use the MP for this, but when I'm at home I use the iMac.
    Is there a real difference in performance on the 2 iMacs?
    (In aware of the glossy screen, I'll have to try it out before deciding.)

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Are you keeping your old one when you receive the new one? Maybe you want to go back to the old one if you don't like the new one when it arrives.

3. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

No, I would sell this one first, to make sure I got the price I wanted.
    I bought a 20" iMac a feew months before the 24" came out, sold it straight away and it didn´t cost me too much to do the upgrade back then.
    Motion (in FCS) is really the only app that I´m having trouble using on my iMac. Anyone can tell me how the new graphics cards are holding up?

4. jroller macrumors regular

Not sure what the specs are on the first 24" iMac, but in general, if I could update for $200 and I had $200 to spend on it, I would. That is a relatively small price for a new machine, if you think about it.

5. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

That´s was what I was thinking when I saw what these rev A 24" iMacs were selling for. If I wait too long resale value will just drop more.

6. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I would also have to agree with that opinion. I know you will be happy with the newer iMac since you have been using an older one.