Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
Has anyone tried the new 3.1 update with the Benm tether function,
and does it still work ?

Would like to know before i update to 3.1 ......

Thanks a million!

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I am holding off the update to 3.1 because I need tethering. Can someone please confirm it won't break the Benm hack?

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
my update to 3.1 on a 3GS broke my tethering option..
i've tried a few o2 mobileconfig files and they all don't seem to work incl the benm one..

not overly fussed at this point, but would be nice to have it working at some point :)

what's the michaeljohnston one btw??

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
my update to 3.1 on a 3GS broke my tethering option..
i've tried a few o2 mobileconfig files and they all don't seem to work incl the benm one..

not overly fussed at this point, but would be nice to have it working at some point :)

what's the michaeljohnston one btw??

So you updated to 3.1 and then went to Benm.at to reset your carrier files and it doesn't bring tethering back? I know that 3.1 will kill all previous carrier hacks, but hoped that rehacking would
do the trick.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
So you updated to 3.1 and then went to Benm.at to reset your carrier files and it doesn't bring tethering back? I know that 3.1 will kill all previous carrier hacks, but hoped that rehacking would
do the trick.

that is precisely what i did on my 3GS... whether it still works on a 3G or not I don't know..

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
My tethering continues to work post 3.1 from a 3.0 installation, but I am not sure why it is. I even reset my network settings to see if it was a fluke. I have a 3G

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
My tethering continues to work post 3.1 from a 3.0 installation, but I am not sure why it is. I even reset my network settings to see if it was a fluke. I have a 3G

Does it actually work or is it just there? I know that the feature will still show after the update, but it will not connect if you try. Try it out and tell us if it still works.

LisaMarie

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
I just now went to BenM.at on my 3GS and he posted today that a MobilConfig for firmware 3.1 was in the works and we should stay tuned.

I sure hope he gets it soon. My cell is my only internet access and I tether daily. I updated last night and lost tethering completely. The profile is still there but the connection does not get established.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Does it actually work or is it just there? I know that the feature will still show after the update, but it will not connect if you try. Try it out and tell us if it still works.

Nope.

The tethering option was still there but upon being turned on and plugged in it disappeared.

10.5.8, 3GS, benm installed before updating to 3.1 - reinstalling via benm or manually did not reenable tethering.

The Exchange fixes were far more important to me than tethering so I went ahead with 3.1.

Defactor

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
Confirmed on 3G

iPhone 3G 8GB:

So I upgraded to 3.1 after I mysteriously lost my signal for 2 hours (and rebooting, reseating the SIM, resetting network settings did not resolve) while my wife's iPhone was getting 5 bars of 3G right next to me.

My signal was not restored by the upgrade... but did magically reappear 25 minutes later.

Immediately after the upgrade, I wondered whether it would break tethering, so I went to view the menu item in Settings - General - Network. It was there... for a fraction of a second. I watched it disappear.

I have tried the following in an attempt to restore:

Removing the profile. Rebooting. Reinstalling the profile. Rebooting. Resetting network settings. Rebooting.

Nada.

Noteworthy: help.benm.at has a message up stating that they are working on tethering for 3.1, which seems to indicate that they have confirmed the problem.

If I had only waited or not needed my phone, I'd still have tethering. And I'm about to go on vacation.

AT&T and Apple have totally killed Kenny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.